ASP?

Marc

What kind of server do I need to use ASP? I do not know anything about ASP
so.... Is there somewhere a good site to learn to work with ASP (I prefer in
Dutch)

Marc

Steven Burn

Any server that supports ASP will do (e.g. IIS - www.microsoft.com/iis -
comes with Windows 2000/XP Pro and Server 2003). I believe others such as
Apache, also support it, but they require an additional "plugin" to be
present first (can't remember the name of it unfortunately).

As for site's, the best one IMHO is ASPFAQ - www.aspfaq.com

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Roland Hall

in message : Any server that supports ASP will do (e.g. IIS - www.microsoft.com/iis -
: comes with Windows 2000/XP Pro and Server 2003). I believe others such as
: Apache, also support it, but they require an additional "plugin" to be
: present first (can't remember the name of it unfortunately).

Sun's Chili!Soft but it is not completely compatible with IIS ASP.

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

Marc

Thanks for the information. I think I'll have to change my server? For this
moment I'm working with www.globat.com wich is very cheap and supports MYSQL
but no ASP...
Wich (cheap and good) server would you guys sugest?

Marc

Steven Burn

Home or Pro? (XP Pro has IIS included already and I believe you can download
it from the MS site for Home?)

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Steven Burn said:
I believe you can download
[IIS] from the MS site for Home?)

This was only true for a very brief period of time shortly after XP was
released. There is currently no supported way of installing IIS on XP Home.

Personally, I feel that if you're going to do professional things like
create Web applications, you should have a professional operating system.
:]

Ray at home

Steven Burn

Personally, I feel that if you're going to do professional things like
create Web applications, you should have a professional operating system.
:]

hehe, so DOS is out of the question then? <g>

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Ray Costanzo said:
Steven Burn said:
I believe you can download
[IIS] from the MS site for Home?)

This was only true for a very brief period of time shortly after XP was
released. There is currently no supported way of installing IIS on XP Home.

Personally, I feel that if you're going to do professional things like
create Web applications, you should have a professional operating system.
:]

Ray at home

Steven Burn

As Ray has just pointed out IIS is not available for XP Home, incase this is
what you are running, I'd personally reccomend KF Web Server (note however,
this requires ActiveHTML to be installed aswell for ASP support
(unfortunately, the ActiveHTML homepage appears to be down atm))

http://www.keyfocus.net/kfws/

Been a while since I've used it myself now as I have XP Pro with IIS, but I
loved it when I had it......

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Marc

At home I have windows XP (pro) but my question was "Do you know a good
server?" For this moment I'm working with www.globat.com and they are using
Linux but as far as I know they do not support ASP. So... do you know a good
server (once again).

Yours Sincerely,

Marc
http://www.steenbrugge.com

Ray Costanzo said:
Steven Burn said:
I believe you can download
[IIS] from the MS site for Home?)

This was only true for a very brief period of time shortly after XP was
released. There is currently no supported way of installing IIS on XP
Home.

Personally, I feel that if you're going to do professional things like
create Web applications, you should have a professional operating system.
:]

Ray at home

Steven Burn

If you have XP Pro then you have a server already!!

Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows
Components

Tick "Internet Information Services (IIS)"

Click Next etc.... (you'll need your Windows CD)

Once installed, you can access it via the Administrative Tools menu.

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Ray Costanzo said:
Steven Burn said:
I believe you can download
[IIS] from the MS site for Home?)

This was only true for a very brief period of time shortly after XP was
released. There is currently no supported way of installing IIS on XP
Home.

Personally, I feel that if you're going to do professional things like
create Web applications, you should have a professional operating system.
:]

Ray at home

Mark Schupp

I believe he means a good ISP to put a public site on. We don't use one so I
don't have an opinion.

--
Mark Schupp
Head of Development

Marc said:
At home I have windows XP (pro) but my question was "Do you know a good
server?" For this moment I'm working with www.globat.com and they are using
Linux but as far as I know they do not support ASP. So... do you know a good
server (once again).

Yours Sincerely,

Marc
http://www.steenbrugge.com

"Ray Costanzo [MVP]" <my first name at lane 34 dot commercial> schreef in
bericht news:[email protected]...
I believe you can download
[IIS] from the MS site for Home?)

This was only true for a very brief period of time shortly after XP was
released. There is currently no supported way of installing IIS on XP
Home.

Personally, I feel that if you're going to do professional things like
create Web applications, you should have a professional operating system.
:]

Ray at home

Steven Burn

Oh right, lol...... in that case, Inspiratech 2000 Ltd wins hands down for
me (been using them for years and love them ;o)).

www.inspiratech.uk.com

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Marc said:
[...]

ebirbals

You can get windows hosting from us
Rs. 850/- yearly
105 MB total space
5 MB storage space
5 emails

1 Email = 20 MB
Total Web Space = Web Space in MB + (No.of Emails x 20) MB

if you are interested...just contact

Pawan Bangar,
Birbals,
India.
(e-mail address removed)

Jeff Cochran

At home I have windows XP (pro) but my question was "Do you know a good
server?" For this moment I'm working with www.globat.com and they are using
Linux but as far as I know they do not support ASP. So... do you know a good
server (once again).

You were looking in Dutch I beleive, so these may not help.
Otherwise, these are quite popular:

maximumasp.com
interland.com
webhost4life.com

Jeff

ah

I am running Windows XP Professional.
I am doing the msdn asp tutorial.
It says: type http://<Your Server Name>/Tutorial/Example1.asp in the address
bar.
As you suggested, I installed IIS but I still don't know where to find my
server name.

Ray Costanzo said:
I believe you can download
[IIS] from the MS site for Home?)

This was only true for a very brief period of time shortly after XP was
released. There is currently no supported way of installing IIS on XP
Home.

Personally, I feel that if you're going to do professional things like
create Web applications, you should have a professional operating system.
:]

Ray at home

Tim Slattery

ah said:
I am running Windows XP Professional.
I am doing the msdn asp tutorial.
It says: type http://<Your Server Name>/Tutorial/Example1.asp in the address
bar.
As you suggested, I installed IIS but I still don't know where to find my
server name.

If you're running a server on the same machine where your browser is
running, use "localhost".