AspEnableParentPaths and Design Time Controls

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Scott, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    I have created my site in the root (www.mysite.com) and have recently
    added a directory called test (www.mysite.com/test/). The environment
    setup is:

    Server: Windows 2000 Server SP4
    Development Machine: Windows 2000 Professional SP4
    Development Software: Visual Interdev 6.0 SP5

    When I drag DTC's onto a page in the new directory, I am propmted to
    add the Scripting Object Model. Which according to the following
    article, you have to say yes to:

    PRB: Visual InterDev 6.0 Design-Time Controls Require Client-Side
    Script
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;221928

    By selecting yes, the following code on gets placed onto the page

    <% ' VI 6.0 Scripting Object Model Enabled %>
    <!--#include file="../_ScriptLibrary/pm.asp"-->
    <% if StartPageProcessing() Then Response.End() %>
    <FORM name=thisForm METHOD=post>

    Note the "../" before "_ScriptLibrary/pm.asp", this is obviously
    placed there because the "_ScriptLibrary/pm.asp" is located in the
    root of the project. This code cannot be modified through Interdev,
    thus negating the resolution in the following article:

    Err Msg: Active Server Pages, ASP 0131 Disallowed Parent Path
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;226474

    It can however be manually edited in notepad (which does work), but
    this could prove to be quite tedious.

    The alternative solution is NOT an option, as our servers must matain
    a strict level of security. Note the security articles published by
    Microsoft:

    Secure Internet Information Services 5 Checklist
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...technet/prodtechnol/iis/iis5/tips/iis5chk.asp

    Suggests Disable Parent Paths
    The Parent Paths option allows you to use ".." in calls to functions
    such as MapPath. By default, this option is enabled, and you should
    disable it.

    AND

    AspEnableParentPaths MetaBase Property Should Be Set To False
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;184717

    Reiterates the first or vice versa.

    What I would like to know is if there is a method, other than manual
    method, whereby I drag the DTC onto my page and the following code is
    automattically placed on my page:

    <% ' VI 6.0 Scripting Object Model Enabled %>
    <!--#include virtual="/_ScriptLibrary/pm.asp"-->
    <% if StartPageProcessing() Then Response.End() %>
    <FORM name=thisForm METHOD=post>

    Any help would be much appreciated!

    Scott, Dec 9, 2003

  2. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Took your advice and I have rewritten an entire site using VB for SQL
    interaction Server-Side and Java Script for Client-Side. This has
    proved to be a very educational exercise, as well as a wake up call to
    how sloppy my code was before.

    Now my site functions on most platforms. Whereas, before my site was
    pretty much IE 5 or greater compliant ONLY.

    Scott, Dec 16, 2003