aspnet._wp.exe could not be started

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Rob Oldfield, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. Rob Oldfield

    Rob Oldfield Guest

    I'm attempting to use a web app that has been set up by a third party
    company. When I try to open their aspx pages I'm getting...

    Server Application Unavailable

    The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is
    currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser
    to retry your request.

    Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific
    request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server.
    Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

    If I look at the application log of the server machine then I see repeated
    entries of...

    "aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
    80070545. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
    insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure that the
    ..NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the installation
    directory allow access to the configured account."

    ....but not corresponding to the error that just happened. So I just saw the
    error at midday but the last entry in the app log is at 8.40 this morning
    (and, yes, I do know about the refresh option)

    The server is 2003 running framework 1.1. It isn't a DC (so Q315158
    shouldn't apply) and I've tried everything in Q811320

    I've tried running filemon and regmon to see if anything obvious leaps out
    at me, but with no joy.

    Any ideas?
    Rob Oldfield, Mar 3, 2004

  2. Hi, Rob Oldfield,

    Is Control Panel->Add or Remove Programs->Add/Remove Windows
    Components->Application Server->ASP.NET installed?

    Appart from this, is the extension allowed?

    IIS Manager->local computer->Web Service Extensions->ASP.NET v1.1.4322

    Should have a green circle with a check inside on the icon.

    Greetings
    Martin

    Martin Dechev, Mar 3, 2004

  3. Rob Oldfield

    Guest

    You could try editing the Machine.config (located in
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CONFIG\).

    Look for a key userName="machine". If you set it to "SYSTEM"
    instead the aspnet_wp.exe runs with a different user (with
    higher privileges).

    Yours,
    Morten

    Rob Oldfield wrote:

    > I'm attempting to use a web app that has been set up by a third party
    > company. When I try to open their aspx pages I'm getting...
    >
    > Server Application Unavailable
    >
    > The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is
    > currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser
    > to retry your request.
    >
    > Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific
    > request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server.
    > Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.
    >
    > If I look at the application log of the server machine then I see repeated
    > entries of...
    >
    > "aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
    > 80070545. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
    > insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure that the
    > .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the installation
    > directory allow access to the configured account."
    >
    > ...but not corresponding to the error that just happened. So I just saw the
    > error at midday but the last entry in the app log is at 8.40 this morning
    > (and, yes, I do know about the refresh option)
    >
    > The server is 2003 running framework 1.1. It isn't a DC (so Q315158
    > shouldn't apply) and I've tried everything in Q811320
    >
    > I've tried running filemon and regmon to see if anything obvious leaps out
    > at me, but with no joy.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    , Mar 3, 2004
  4. Rob Oldfield

    Rob Oldfield Guest

    Oops. Should have said 2000 server. I've looked for your suggestions but
    things are obviously different. Do you know what the equivalent settings
    are in 2000?

    Thanks.

    Rob Oldfield, Mar 3, 2004
  5. Rob Oldfield

    Rob Oldfield Guest

    Thanks for the idea. But I'd already tried that as well.

    Rob Oldfield, Mar 3, 2004