aspnet._wp.exe could not be started

Rob Oldfield

I'm attempting to use a web app that has been set up by a third party
company. When I try to open their aspx pages I'm getting...

Server Application Unavailable

The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is
currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser
to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific
request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server.
Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

If I look at the application log of the server machine then I see repeated
entries of...

"aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
80070545. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure that the
..NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the installation
directory allow access to the configured account."

....but not corresponding to the error that just happened. So I just saw the
error at midday but the last entry in the app log is at 8.40 this morning
(and, yes, I do know about the refresh option)

The server is 2003 running framework 1.1. It isn't a DC (so Q315158
shouldn't apply) and I've tried everything in Q811320

I've tried running filemon and regmon to see if anything obvious leaps out
at me, but with no joy.

Any ideas?

Martin Dechev

Hi, Rob Oldfield,

Is Control Panel->Add or Remove Programs->Add/Remove Windows
Components->Application Server->ASP.NET installed?

Appart from this, is the extension allowed?

IIS Manager->local computer->Web Service Extensions->ASP.NET v1.1.4322

Should have a green circle with a check inside on the icon.

Greetings
Martin

user

You could try editing the Machine.config (located in
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CONFIG\).

Look for a key userName="machine". If you set it to "SYSTEM"
instead the aspnet_wp.exe runs with a different user (with
higher privileges).

Yours,
Morten

Rob Oldfield

Oops. Should have said 2000 server. I've looked for your suggestions but
things are obviously different. Do you know what the equivalent settings
are in 2000?

Thanks.