ASPNET-Account on a W2KServer Domain Controller

Michael Maes

Hello,

I can't get the ASPNET-Account installed on a Windows 2000 (5.00.2195) Server SP4 Domain Controller.
I always receive "Web Server not running ASP.NET version 1.1" when I try to start a APS.NET WebApplication.

"I tried aspnet_regiis.exe -i", I tried to re-install fw v1.1, but the account ASPNET won't get installed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Michael

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Michael,

I've replied you in the ADO.NET NG's thread. To make it easy for you to
view, I'll repost my reply here:

Yes, you're right, the problem you encountered is exactly caused by the
Domain Controler which can't have local account such as the
"Machine\ASPNET" installed and the ASP.NET's default process account is
Machine\ASPNET. One resolution is to change the account of the ASP.NET
process in the machine.config file
Generally, you can change it from "Machine\aspnet" to "System". The
following KB article is discussing on this issue:

#FIX: ASP.NET Does Not Work with the Default ASPNET Account on a Domain
Controller
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315158

Please have a look and if you have anything else unclear, please feel free
to post here.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support