ASPNET account on Win2k3

Ovidiu Platon

Hello,

I have the following problem: I installed a web app on IIS 6 in Win2k3 EE. Now, whenever I try to log on to my SQL Service, I get Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'
I solved the problem easily, by adding NETWORK SERVICE as a login in SQL Server. However, my question is: Is the ASPNET account obsolete? In which security context are we expected to run ASP.NET apps in the future? When writing a deployment app, am I supposed to check at install time in what security context will my app run in?

Thanks,
Ovidiu

Chris Jackson

In IIS6, ASP.NET no longer has its own account - it inherits from the IIS
worker process. To guarantee authentication as a particular account, use
identity impersonate=true in your web.config. Details here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...tml/cpconconfiguringaspnetprocessidentity.asp

--
Chris Jackson
Software Engineer