ASPNET Account Permissions for .NET 2.0?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?cGFsYWt3YWlfOTE5?=, Aug 15, 2005.

  1. We have a Windows 2000 server with Beta 2 of the 2.0 Framework installed and
    the 1.1 Framework. For some odd reason when we hit our 2.0 Framework
    application we get the following error:

    Server Application Unavailable
    The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is
    currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser
    to retry your request.
    Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific
    request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server.
    Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

    When we look at the event log there are two entries of interest. A warning:

    Failed to initialize the AppDomain:/LM/W3SVC/1/Root/RMP30

    Exception: System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironmentException
    Message: Failed to access IIS metabase.
    StackTrace: at
    System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.Initialize(ApplicationManager
    appManager, IApplicationHost appHost, IConfigMapPathFactory
    configMapPathFactory, HostingEnvironmentParameters hostingParameters)
    at
    System.Web.Hosting.ApplicationManager.CreateAppDomainWithHostingEnvironment(String
    appId, IApplicationHost appHost, HostingEnvironmentParameters
    hostingParameters)
    at
    System.Web.Hosting.ApplicationManager.CreateAppDomainWithHostingEnvironmentAndReportErrors(String
    appId, IApplicationHost appHost, HostingEnvironmentParameters
    hostingParameters)

    Followed by an error:

    Failed to execute request because the App-Domain could not be created.
    Error: 0x80131500

    The 1.1 Framework applications still work. If I move the ASPNET account into
    the Local Administrators group the application runs fine and the above errors
    and warnings do not occur.

    I have tried reinstalling and the 2.0 Framework and re-registering with IIS.
    I’ve used FileMon to watch for access errors when running. We have a second
    Windows 2000 with a similar configuration and all runs fine.

    Does anyone know what directories and all the ASPNET account needs under the
    2.0 Framework? Could this be a registry access issue?

    I found this for 1.0:

    http://www.15seconds.com/issue/030115.htm

    --
    palakwai_919

    =?Utf-8?B?cGFsYWt3YWlfOTE5?=, Aug 15, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?cGFsYWt3YWlfOTE5?=

    Andrea Zani Guest

    palakwai_919 <> ha scritto:
    > We have a Windows 2000 server with Beta 2 of the 2.0 Framework
    > installed and the 1.1 Framework. For some odd reason when we hit our
    > 2.0 Framework application we get the following error:

    You try with this solution:
    cd C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50215.44
    aspnet_regiis.exe -u

    cd C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322
    aspnet_regiis.exe -i

    And with:
    http://www.denisbauer.com/NETTools/ASPNETVersionSwitcher.aspx
    change the framework for the virtualdir for 2.0

    --
    AZ [Microsoft - .NET MVP]
    Mia Home page: http://ciclismo.sitiasp.it

    Andrea Zani, Aug 15, 2005

  3. Thanks for the reply but isn't that just going unistall the 2.0 framework and
    install the 1.1 framework? The application in question is a 2.0 framework
    application that will run when ASPNET is a member of the Local Administrators
    group. This appears to be a permissions problem but which permissions are
    missing has elluded me thus far.

    --
    -palakwai_919

    =?Utf-8?B?cGFsYWt3YWlfOTE5?=, Aug 15, 2005
  4. Hi, Palakwai.

    re:
    > Does anyone know what directories the
    > ASPNET account needs under the 2.0 Framework?

    This article spells out the permissions needed
    for all essential ASP.NET directories:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/secmod/html/secmod15.asp

    See Table 1: Required NTFS permissions.
    They are the same for ASP.NET 1.1 and for ASP.NET 2.0.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, Aug 15, 2005
  5. I found this in another post. It solves the problem but may be a security risk.

    Kevin3344 Dec 22 2004, 4:22 pm show options

    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    From: "Kevin3344" <> - Find messages by this author
    Date: 22 Dec 2004 12:22:07 -0800
    Subject: Re: Dot Net Framework 2.0 not working
    Report Abuse

    I had the same problem. Here's what I did to fix it:

    Open IIS. Right click properties. Select the Operators tab. Click Add.

    Add the ASPNET worker process: <MachineName>\ASPNET. Click Ok.

    Start a new browser instance and try the page again. It should work.

    - Kevin

    --
    -palakwai_919

    =?Utf-8?B?cGFsYWt3YWlfOTE5?=, Aug 17, 2005