ASPNET Account Security Problem - Running a Web Application over a network share

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by CES, Oct 11, 2003.

  1. CES

    CES Guest

    All,

    If anyone has been following my trials over the last week see(Setting up a
    Web Application on IIS 5.1 and ASP.Net Security Problems).

    I'm having a problem running a Asp.Net Web Application. I've finally
    narrowed the problem down to a security issue: The ASPNET (aspnet_wp)
    account cannot connect to a Network resource instead of using a local path
    ie: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot my development site resides on a Network Share
    (\\{MyServerName}\wwwroot).

    Every thing works fine is I connect to the site using a local path but I get
    a Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'WebApplication1.Global'.
    Source Error:
    Line 1: <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.vb"
    Inherits="WebApplication1.Global" %>

    If I try to load the page from a shared resource (\\Server\xxx)

    I've tried adding this line to the web.config file imeditly under the
    <authentication mode="Windows" /> tag - in the applications root directory
    but I'm still unable to connect:
    <identity impersonate="true" userName="{MyServerName}\{UserName}}"
    password="{Password} " />
    Policy editor

    I have even tried creating a virtual directory to the folder even though the
    Web Application is below the wwwroot.

    FYI I've tried every possible combination of the
    {MyServerName}\{UserName}"ie server\administrator / SERVER\administrator /
    Server\Administrator etc.

    Everything I've seen posted seams to suggest this should have worked. I'll
    be very grateful for any help.

    CES

    CES, Oct 11, 2003

  2. CES

    Ron Guest

    "CES" <> wrote in message news:<#>...
    > All,
    >
    > If anyone has been following my trials over the last week see(Setting up a
    > Web Application on IIS 5.1 and ASP.Net Security Problems).
    >
    > I'm having a problem running a Asp.Net Web Application. I've finally
    > narrowed the problem down to a security issue: The ASPNET (aspnet_wp)
    > account cannot connect to a Network resource instead of using a local path
    > ie: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot my development site resides on a Network Share
    > (\\{MyServerName}\wwwroot).
    >
    > Every thing works fine is I connect to the site using a local path but I get
    > a Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'WebApplication1.Global'.
    > Source Error:
    > Line 1: <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.vb"
    > Inherits="WebApplication1.Global" %>
    >
    > If I try to load the page from a shared resource (\\Server\xxx)
    >
    > I've tried adding this line to the web.config file imeditly under the
    > <authentication mode="Windows" /> tag - in the applications root directory
    > but I'm still unable to connect:
    > <identity impersonate="true" userName="{MyServerName}\{UserName}}"
    > password="{Password} " />
    > Policy editor
    >
    > I have even tried creating a virtual directory to the folder even though the
    > Web Application is below the wwwroot.
    >
    > FYI I've tried every possible combination of the
    > {MyServerName}\{UserName}"ie server\administrator / SERVER\administrator /
    > Server\Administrator etc.
    >
    > Everything I've seen posted seams to suggest this should have worked. I'll
    > be very grateful for any help.
    >
    > CES

    I am not 100% sure of these suggestions, but it may help you. First
    log on to your local machine as "Administrator". Even if you have
    admin rights as a user I believe it is important to be the actual
    administrator of you local machine. Next go to your web folder and
    right click for Properties. Now go to the securities tab and add
    "Everyone" to the users. Make sure that the "Everyone" user has all
    right checked off. Good Luck!

    Ron, Oct 11, 2003