ASPNET Account Unable To Access Virtual Directories

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?WW9nZXNoIFBhbmNob2xp?=, Apr 20, 2005.

  1. For some unexplained reason, I am suddenly unable to browse to a virtual
    directory on my laptop. I have a number of sample websites to which I could
    happliy browse up until last week. As of Monday, if I browse to any of the
    sites, I get an HttpException saying "The directory does not exist or is not
    accessible because of security settings." I honestly have not changed
    anything at all.

    I have checked and re-checked that ASPNET indeed has the three required
    permissions on the virtual directories (ie. Read, Read & Execute, and List
    Folder Contents). As a workaround, the only way that I am able to currently
    browse to the sample websites is I 'upgrade' the access level privilege in
    the machine.config as follows:

    Go to folder C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CONFIG, and edit the
    machine.config file. Find <processModel enable="true" timeout="Infinite"....
    and change the username attribute from 'machine' to 'system'. Save the file,
    and restart IIS.

    I have trawled the internet in the last couple of days, and have discovered
    many others have experienced the same problem. For most, it was a matter of
    applying the ASPNET account permissions to the virtual folder, but there are
    still a number of other people (like myself) for whom this problem persists.
    I have even ran aspnet_regiis.exe, but still no joy.

    My system specification is as follows:

    Windows XP Professional SP1.
    Internet Explorer 6.0.2800 SP2.
    ..NET Framework v1.1
    Visual Studio .NET 2003

    Below is the exception:

    Server Error in '/EC315CH02' Application

    Server cannot access application directory 'E:\Documents and
    Settings\...<SubFolders>...\'. The directory does not exist or is not
    accessible because of security settings.

    Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Server cannot access
    application directory 'E:\Documents and Settings\...<SubFolders>...\'. The
    directory does not exist or is not accessible because of security settings.

    Source Error:

    Stack Trace:

    [HttpException (0x80004005): Server cannot access application directory
    'E:\Documents and Settings\...<SubFolders>...\'. The directory does not exist
    or is not accessible because of security settings.]
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureAccessToApplicationDirectory() +72
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +264

    [HttpException (0x80004005): ASP.NET Initialization Error]
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +990
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +128

    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET
    Version:1.1.4322.2032

    Does anyone know what could be the problem???

    Can anyone provide any assistance to resolve it???

    --
    ....Yogesh
    "If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled???"

    =?Utf-8?B?WW9nZXNoIFBhbmNob2xp?=, Apr 20, 2005