AspNet Code Signing Problems

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Danb, Jul 23, 2006.

  1. Danb

    Danb Guest

    I want to sign an user-unique cabinet file. So each time I must resign the
    cabinet before it is downloaded by the user.

    I am trying to spawn a process that calls Signtool.exe with the arguments
    being:
    sign /f newcert.pfx /p password /v mycab.cab

    Starting the process yields a standard error result of:
    SignTool Error: File not found: newcert.pfx

    I have tried impersonating the person who owns the certificate and I get a
    different standard error of :
    SignTool Error: CoCreateInstance returned error: 0x80070005 Access is denied

    Does anyone know what I should do now?

    Thanks in advance,

    DanB

    Danb, Jul 23, 2006

  2. Hi,

    i would fully qualify all paths that your are using, e.g. to the .pfx file.
    Otherwise you are making assumption about the working directory which may
    not be true, you can test this by using:

    <%= Environment.CurrentDirectory %>

    on a page.

    dominick

    Dominick Baier, Jul 24, 2006

  3. Danb

    Danb Guest

    Oops,

    I have in previous efforts inserted the fully qualified paths and used
    server.mapppath and io.file.exists to check that those files are found. But
    when I use the resultant strings I continue to get the same errors.

    Let me ask one thing. My certificate does not indicate that it is valid
    for code signing YET when I use the signtool wizard it will in fact sign the
    cabinet.
    Is it possible that this could be my problem with unattended signing? In
    other words because it is not a code signing certificate signtool rejects
    the certificate but instead of telling me why it sends this very ambiguous
    error?

    PS. Dominick sorry about the previous post that was sent to you only. I
    clicked the wrong button :<.

    Danb, Jul 24, 2006