ASPNET Membership

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by David, Mar 23, 2009.

  1. David

    David Guest

    Hi all,

    I am looking to extend the aspnet membership. Basically, I have two roles,
    administrators and supervisors.

    The admins will have access to the whole system, while supervisors will only
    have access to certain pages.

    Below this, each supervisor is only allowed specific detail relative to
    their job, so I need to extend the membership to allow a 'section' that the
    supervisor belongs to.

    I have a cross reference table (a matrix, linking supervisors to sections,
    to effectively create a many to many relationship). I was going to link the
    matrix table to aspnet_users, but I noticed that when I add a user to a role
    within the ASP.NET configuration from within visual studio, more users are
    created for the existing user. This means that with my current 3 test users,
    I have 6 rows (2 for each user, and that is just adding them to
    administrator). Each user ID being different.

    So, what should I be using to link to my matrix table? Should it be
    aspnet_membership table or another table?

    Thanks for your help.

    --
    Best regards,
    Dave Colliver.

    David, Mar 23, 2009

  2. David

    Hillbilly Guest

    I'll have this to say thinking to keep it simple if possible.

    As I recall we may assign a user to many roles. So you could create a
    Supervisor Role and then create JobType1, JobType2 and so on using the
    LoginView Control to manage the page. You can also look at ScottGu's SQL
    Table Profile Provider for your supervisory profile data.

    Hillbilly, Mar 23, 2009