ASPnet on windows 2000

SusieQ

Is it possible to have asp.net on a windows 2000 server and still retain
compatibility with clients who don't want to use it?

I installed Aspnet on my Windows 2000 server and it killed all my ODBC
(MSAccess) connections. As soon as I uninstalled it I was able to connect
again.

Is there something I need to do in order to use Aspnet on W2K and not
clobber the connections?

Thanks in advance

Robyn

Kevin Spencer

It is most certainly possible to run ASP.Net and ASP side-by-side, if that's
what you're asking. I don't know what you did. "killed all my ODBC
connections," while colorful, describes nothing. If you can describe what
you're talking about, perhaps that would help us to figure out what you did
wrong.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

SusieQ

Thanks so much. What happened was I installed ASP.Net on the W2K server.
Then when I went to log in to a page (username, password against an Access
DB) I kept getting an error, something like the server was busy, I can't
remember now and of course I've uninstalled the ASP.Net. I tried all the
databases on the server with different sites, but they all came up with the
same message. Does this help at all?
Thanks

Kevin Spencer

Well, SusieQ, I think we're making progress. How did you install ASP.Net?
What exactly do you mean by "log into a page"? Also, what was the exact
error message you received?

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

SusieQ

Ok I have a web page that askes the user for a username and password.

Once entered and clicked on the submit button, the loginhandler checks the
input against usernames and passwords in an access database and if ok
directs to one part of the site and if not, asks the user to check their
login information.

Installed Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package on
the server.

Once user enters username and password and clicks on Submit, page comes up
with message -- I believe it was -- Server too busy -- or something like
this. I can't for the life of me remember the exact message and I
uninstalled the above package right away because my users were clamoring!!!!

Is this enough information? I hesitate to install again just for the error
message, but may have to.

Robyn

Kevin Spencer

It would seem that the MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components) that comes
with the .Net Framework is causing some kind of problem with your ODBC
connections (ODBC is part of MDAC), but I haven't been able to locate any
online resources that discuss this. Chances are, it's specific to Windows
2000 Server. Other than that, I'm just about out of ideas. We run Windows
Server 2003 here.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

SusieQ

Thanks so much Kevin
I'm going to install it on another server and see if I can duplicate what
had happened.

Robyn