ASPNET or Network Service account on Vista Home Premium

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Oltmans, Jul 9, 2009.

  1. Oltmans

    Oltmans Guest

    Hi guys,

    I'm trying to install DotNetNuke on Microsoft Vista Home Premium. I
    already have .NET framework 2.0, Visual Studio 2005 and SQL Server
    Express installed on my PC. To install DotNetNuke, I'm following
    instructions here http://www.vbnetexpert.com/DotNetNuke/DNNVersion3/InstallingDNN/tabid/83/Default.aspx.
    I'm stuck on following

    - Give the ASPNET (WinXP) or Network Service (Server 2003) account
    Read, Write, and Modify permissions on the directory you unzipped to.
    See the Host Settings page, ASP.NET Identity under the new Site
    Configuration section to be sure.

    Now I'm on Windows Vista Home Premium. I cannot find ASPNET or Network
    Service accounts. What do I do now? How can I create them on Vista
    Home premium? Can we do that on Vista home premium? Also, if I cannot
    create any of these accounts on Vista home premium then is there any
    workaround to acheive the above ?

    I've searched internet and tried many different things, none of which
    worked. So I will really appreciate any idea/help. Many thanks for
    your time and help.

    Oltmans, Jul 9, 2009

  2. Save this code as "identity.aspx" :

    --------------------
    <%@ Page Language="VB" %>
    <%@ Import NameSpace = System.Security.Principal %>
    <script runat="server">
    Sub Page_Load()
    Dim tmp As String = WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent.Name()
    Label1.Text = "ASP.NET is running as the account : " & tmp
    End Sub
    </script>
    <head>
    <title>What account is ASP.NET running as ?</title>
    </head>
    <form id="form1" runat="server">
    <asp:Label ID="Label1" Runat="server" Text="Label"></asp:Label>
    </form>
    -------------------

    ....and run identity.aspx in the root directory.

    That will tell you which account ASP.NET is running as.
    Then, give that account Read, Write, and Modify permissions.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    ¿ Estas probando VS 2010 y ASP.NET 4.0 ?
    Regístrate (gratis) en los Foros de VS 2010 y ASP.NET 4.0, en español
    http://asp.net.do/foros/forums/

    Juan T. Llibre, Jul 9, 2009

  3. Oltmans

    HillBilly Guest

    Also helpful to know how to setup multiple websites using Vista and IIS7...
    http://metromilwaukee.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!BE0E8B9C55C5E5E4!215.entry

    HillBilly, Jul 10, 2009
  4. Oltmans

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Oltmans" <> wrote in message

    > Now I'm on Windows Vista Home Premium. I cannot find ASPNET or Network
    > Service accounts. What do I do now? How can I create them on Vista
    > Home premium? Can we do that on Vista home premium? Also, if I cannot
    > create any of these accounts on Vista home premium then is there any
    > workaround to acheive the above ?

    NT Authority\System machine account is the ASPNET machine account on Vista,
    which you'll need to add to the folder or files in question using NTFS
    Security tab.

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4229 (20090709) __________

    http://www.eset.com

    Mr. Arnold, Jul 10, 2009
  5. "Juan T. Llibre" <> wrote in

    > Save this code as "identity.aspx" :
    >
    > --------------------
    > <%@ Page Language="VB" %>
    > <%@ Import NameSpace = System.Security.Principal %>
    > <script runat="server">
    > Sub Page_Load()
    > Dim tmp As String = WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent.Name()
    > Label1.Text = "ASP.NET is running as the account : " & tmp
    > End Sub
    > </script>
    > <head>
    > <title>What account is ASP.NET running as ?</title>
    > </head>
    > <form id="form1" runat="server">
    > <asp:Label ID="Label1" Runat="server" Text="Label"></asp:Label>
    > </form>
    > -------------------
    >
    > ...and run identity.aspx in the root directory.
    >
    > That will tell you which account ASP.NET is running as.
    > Then, give that account Read, Write, and Modify permissions.

    That is pretty cool Juan. Kudos!

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Twitter: @gbworld

    | Think outside the box! |

    Gregory A. Beamer, Jul 10, 2009
  6. Oltmans <> wrote in

    > Now I'm on Windows Vista Home Premium. I cannot find ASPNET or Network
    > Service accounts. What do I do now? How can I create them on Vista
    > Home premium? Can we do that on Vista home premium? Also, if I cannot
    > create any of these accounts on Vista home premium then is there any
    > workaround to acheive the above ?

    Yes, there is a "workaround" of sorts. If you have the files under the
    wwwroot folder somewhere, the proper accounts should have permissions. You
    may havve to unzip elsewhere and then copy into that folder (not move) to
    have the permissions all set correctly, but that is the worst.

    If you end up having to set the permissions up, you can drill through the
    security tab into advanced permissions if system is not already showing up
    on the list of users.

    1. Right click root folder and select permissions
    2. Click security tab
    3. Click advanced
    4. Click change permissions
    5. Click add
    6. Give permissions and OK out of properties

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Twitter: @gbworld

    | Think outside the box! |

    Gregory A. Beamer, Jul 10, 2009
  7. re:
    !>> ...and run identity.aspx in the root directory.
    !>> That will tell you which account ASP.NET is running as.
    !>> Then, give that account Read, Write, and Modify permissions.

    !> That is pretty cool Juan. Kudos!

    Thanks, Greg.

    I'm kinda proud of having written that relatively simple code.
    It's saved my skin a lot, and helped a bunch of other people, too.

    It wasn't that hard to write once I knew that
    WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent.Name() returned the ASP.NET account name... ;-)

    That was one of the reasons I decided to *really* study
    the .Net Framework classes which ASP.NET uses.

    Doing that, in turn, lifted some of the other veils.

    Juan T. Llibre, Jul 10, 2009
  8. "Juan T. Llibre" <> wrote in

    > re:
    > !>> ...and run identity.aspx in the root directory.
    > !>> That will tell you which account ASP.NET is running as.
    > !>> Then, give that account Read, Write, and Modify permissions.
    >
    > !> That is pretty cool Juan. Kudos!
    >
    > Thanks, Greg.
    >
    > I'm kinda proud of having written that relatively simple code.
    > It's saved my skin a lot, and helped a bunch of other people, too.
    >
    > It wasn't that hard to write once I knew that
    > WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent.Name() returned the ASP.NET account name...
    > ;-)
    >
    > That was one of the reasons I decided to *really* study
    > the .Net Framework classes which ASP.NET uses.
    >
    > Doing that, in turn, lifted some of the other veils.

    IMO, Richter's book should be on every .NET developer's book shelf, as
    it gets into how .NET works underneath the hood.

    I just recently posted about authentication and authorization and how
    IIS and windows work together:
    http://tinyurl.com/m9jcc7

    Together with the script you posted, we have both the how (to do it) and
    why (it works). :)

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA