    would appreciate any and all help provided.
    --
    psm
    =?Utf-8?B?UGVhbnV0?=, Mar 3, 2005

  2. Is anything broke? If not, don't fix it.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    Neither a follower nor a lender be.

    Kevin Spencer, Mar 3, 2005

  3. Well THANKS for nothing, Kevin!
    I should have known I would get a smart aleck reply from a "genius" like
    you, but I had hopes someone with a LITTLE compassion would give me a
    straight answer.
    It's broke if it isn't working isn't it?
    I have no idea what ASPNET does or why I have it, but I figure if it hasn't
    been used and some details are missing, my system probably needs it.
    Obviously a reputable firm like Belarc would not point out the discrepency if
    it weren't "broke".
    Isn't there anyone in this organization who will offer a HELPING hand. I am
    sick of people like "Kevin Spencer" who say they are a Mvp for Microsoft. I
    can't believe Bill Gates would have someone so crass in his organization.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGVhbnV0?=, Mar 3, 2005
  4. Hi, Peanut.

    I know the Guest and the SUPPORT-388945a0
    accounts are disabled by default in Windows,
    as a security measure.

    The SUPPORT account is supposed to be enabled
    only if you need help and support services.

    Info from Local Users and Groups:
    SUPPORT_388945a0
    "Full Name="CN=Microsoft Corporation,L-Redmond,S=Washington,C=US
    "Description="This is a Vendor's account for Help and Support Services

    Similarly, the Help Assistant account is the primary
    account used to establish a Remote Assistance session.

    Don't delete *any* of those accounts.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, Mar 3, 2005
  5. Who is the "smart-aleck?" I didn't insult you. I gave you the facts. It so
    happens that the single sentence was all that was needed. Take a look at
    Juan's reply:

    >Hi, Peanut.

    >I know the Guest and the SUPPORT-388945a0
    >accounts are disabled by default in Windows,
    >as a security measure.

    >The SUPPORT account is supposed to be enabled
    >only if you need help and support services.

    >Info from Local Users and Groups:
    >SUPPORT_388945a0
    >"Full Name="CN=Microsoft Corporation,L-Redmond,S=Washington,C=US
    >"Description="This is a Vendor's account for Help and Support Services

    >Similarly, the Help Assistant account is the primary
    >account used to establish a Remote Assistance session.

    >Don't delete *any* of those accounts.

    My reply was shorter, but to the point. Nothing is broke. Don't fix it.

    You, on the other hand, took offense where the was none, and insulted ME.

    I was trying to help you; you were trying to hurt me. So, what does that
    make me, and what does that make you?

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    What You Seek Is What You Get.

    Kevin Spencer, Mar 3, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?UGVhbnV0?=

    pj Guest

    On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 11:27:02 -0800, Peanut
    <> wrote:

    >Well THANKS for nothing, Kevin!
    >I should have known I would get a smart aleck reply from a "genius" like
    >you, but I had hopes someone with a LITTLE compassion would give me a
    >straight answer.

    I don't think he meant badly - you seemed to be expressing concern
    abotu something you found on your pc, he suggested that unless
    something wasn't working, you shouldn't worry.

    >It's broke if it isn't working isn't it?

    What is? You didn't mention anything not working, you described a
    situation and asked for help, even though there was nothing in
    particular in the situation you described that sounded like a problem.

    >I have no idea what ASPNET does or why I have it, but I figure if it hasn't
    >been used and some details are missing, my system probably needs it.

    ASP.NET is a technology for making websites. It uses a user account
    (usually called ASPNET) - I'm not familiar with Belarc but I imagine
    it's simply listing the user accounts it's found on your PC.

    >Obviously a reputable firm like Belarc would not point out the discrepency if
    >it weren't "broke".

    Does it say that there's a problem, or is it simply listing the
    accounts on the PC?

    ok...I've just installed and run Belarc Advisor. It displays a lot of
    information - a list of hard disk drives, a list of communication
    ports, a list of software licenses. The reputable firm of Belarc has
    listed these things, even though they aren't "broke". In fact, Belarc
    Advisor does seem to have anything to do with "broke" things - it's a
    PC Audit utility - it lists information about your PC.

    Amongst the lists, there is a list of users. Some of the "users"
    listed are the usernames I log onto the PC with - there is
    "administrator", which I use when I need to fix things, and "pj",
    which I use normally. There are a number of other users listed - but
    these aren't regular user accounts (i.e. usernames of people who log
    in at the keyboard), they are what's called "system accounts". You
    see, in Windows XP (and most other modern Operating Systems),
    everything that is done has to be done by an entity called a "user".
    So if I start a word processor, it's being run by the user "pj". "pj"
    has certain rights - certain things it can do, and certain
    restrictions.

    I have a number of system accounts - e.g. "IUSR_MCKENNA". I run a web
    server on my PC, and when someone connects to it with a browser, they
    are doing something on my PC, so, by the principle mentioned above,
    some "user" has to be involved - that user is "IUSR_MCKENNA" - a user
    with very few rights. Next to that username, in the column labelled
    "last logon", it says "never". This is because that user isn't a
    person, and so has never logged on at the keyboard.

    There are a few other accounts like that - SUPPORT_388945a0,
    HelpAssistant and a couple of others.

    >Isn't there anyone in this organization who will offer a HELPING hand. I am
    >sick of people like "Kevin Spencer" who say they are a Mvp for Microsoft. I
    >can't believe Bill Gates would have someone so crass in his organization.

    There are a lot of people in newsgroups who have a lot of knowledge
    and spend a lot of time trying to help. Because they don't want to
    spend all of their lives answering questiosn, there is a sort of
    culture of terseness - it isn't people being rude or flippant
    (usually), it's just people being quick and to the point. There's a
    certain amount of responsibility on the person who asks the question -
    you must pose your question clearly. I've explained at length, because
    I wasn't sure what it was you were worried about. I'm guessing that
    what you meant was:

    "this program has reported this information - I'm worried about it,
    the red crosses seem to indicate that something is broken - is that
    right?"

    but it's just a guess.

    if you're new to asking questions on usenet, you might want to read
    this document:

    which explains a little bit about the culture of usenet, and how to
    get the answers you want.

    cheers,

    pj
    --
    http://www.psychedelicjones.com/
    pj, Mar 3, 2005
  7. Thanks pj, I sincerely appreciate your explanantion. You were completely
    correct in your surmise of the resoning of my question. I felt I had
    explained my "lack of expertise" in the IT field. While the answer I received
    first was correct, it did not tell me anything about what I considered to be
    a problem. You can be sure any question I ask from now on will be detailed to
    the nth degree. Sincerely,

    =?Utf-8?B?UGVhbnV0?=, Mar 4, 2005
  8. Thank you Juan, I appreciate all the help I have received. The information
    was much appreciated. I feel that you and pj have helped me immensely.
    Sincerely'

    =?Utf-8?B?UGVhbnV0?=, Mar 4, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?UGVhbnV0?=

    pj Guest

    On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 11:07:02 -0800, Peanut
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks pj, I sincerely appreciate your explanantion.

    You're welcome. Thanks for bringing that tool (which I hadn't seen
    before) to my attention - it's pretty useful!

    pj
    --
    http://www.psychedelicjones.com/
    pj, Mar 4, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?UGVhbnV0?=

    bobcatman

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    I agree with psm

    Many many years later, in the far distant land of google, people search for answers and these old forums still appear, where they hope for help and assistance with their computer issues. Hence this reply from far in the future, as XP (although soon to be layed to rest via 'end of life' by microsoft in 2014) is still a well used, trusted and reliable OS.

    I came across these posts while searching for info on my XP box which has a quirk with user accounts, where it loads straight into the desktop from a cold boot, despite being password protected. It does however, password protect if you chose "log off" or if it goes into screen saver mode. It's also set to "use the welcome screen" in the accounts section of the control panel, which it refuses to do, which is a severe security issue.

    Looking for a scientific answer to that problem, I expect my google search results to assist me, especially when questions are answered by those with multiple acronyms behind their name.
    Kevin Spencer perhaps forgot that the majority of malware, even back in ancient history of 2005, prefers not to announce it'self, instead, hiding to do it's dirty work behind the scenes.
    The question by user 'psm' was answered correctly by Juan, not only in a technical sense, but in a common sense way too. Psm was looking for an "expert" explanation of something that could most certainly be viewed as a potential Back Door by a user not experienced in computers.

    Now what would Mr. Spenser's response have been, if PSM has said one of the accounts he found was named "eViLe HaXoR" running under System Privileges, but his machine appeared to be functioning normally to him?
    Would the response be "If it boots up and gets on the internet, don't worry about it"??

    Kudos to user PSM for keeping accountability a priority in forums, shame on Kevin Spencer for his inability to not only get defensive over a well deserved spanking, but also for his inability to show the knowledge and skill of computers that Juan bailed him out on.
    As stated previously, people years later are still having the same questions user PSM had, which will bring them also to this ancient forum page in search of help. Hopefully Microsoft MVP's have evolved since then.
    Bobcatman
    MCSE
    MCP
    A+