ASPNET User ID Permissions

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by lhowe2001@onebox.com, Apr 5, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi all,

    I suppose this is as good of a group as any for my question. I have a
    W2K Server (not a domain controller) running IIS 5. I want to run an
    ASP.NET web page on this server. I realized that I didn't have any
    ..NET Framework on this server at all, so I went to the windows update
    page, selected all of the missing Security Updates and the Framework
    1.1 SP1 options, and installed them all. Now I have Framework 1.1 on
    the server. I then tried to run my ASP.NET web page, but recieved a
    "Server Application Unavailable" error message.

    After spending all day reading various people's trials and tribulations
    with this particular error, and the answers given to correct it, I
    still cannot get my page to work -- sort of. If I change the
    <processModel> setting to "SYSTEM" from "MACHINE", and recycle IIS,
    then the web page works fine. Okay, so that tells me that there is a
    permissions issue somewhere with the ASPNET user ID. Fine, so then I
    went through the list of ACL changes that Microsoft and many
    respondants of other people's questions about this on the group
    suggested to check. I verified/changed all of the following suggested
    folder location's security to allow the ASPNET enough access:

    * %installroot%\ASP.NET Temporary Files
    * %windir%\temp
    * Application directory
    * Web site root path
    * %installroot% hierachy
    * %windir%\assembly

    ASPNET now has rights to all of these locations. I recycled IIS, and
    still I get the error. I even gave "Full Control" access to ASPNET on
    these folders to see if that would make a difference, but it didn't. I
    then added ASPNET to the local Administrators group, recycled IIS,
    retested my ASP.NET page, and it worked then. So, it appears that I am
    still missing some folder and/or file that ASPNET needs to be able to
    access.

    This is a production server that has been working fine for years with
    classic ASP, so I am trying to keep the changes to a minimum so that I
    don't upset classic ASP and cause other problems. I would rather not 1)
    use the "SYSTEM" method, or 2) make ASPNET an Administrator on this
    server. Does anyone know of any folders/files other than I have listed
    above that ASPNET would need access rights to? Is there anything else
    I can look at that ASPNET might need configured for?

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    Larry
    , Apr 5, 2005

  2. Larry Guest

    Hi again,

    Never mind, I figured out what was missing. I saw in another thread
    someone mentioning to try using FileMon to see what ASPNET was having a
    problem with. I did this, and it had an ACCESS DENIED error on the
    %windir%\system32 folder. I checked the folder and ASPNET only had
    "Read" permissions. Apparently ASPNET needs "Read & Execute"
    permissions on the %windir%\system32 folder. Actually, I tried giving
    ASPNET "Full Control" to the folder first, and once that worked, I
    started backing off permissions until I came to the minimum required.

    I hope this info helps someone else.

    Thanks anyway!

    Larry
    Larry, Apr 5, 2005