ASPNET User ID Permissions

lhowe2001

Hi all,

I suppose this is as good of a group as any for my question. I have a
W2K Server (not a domain controller) running IIS 5. I want to run an
ASP.NET web page on this server. I realized that I didn't have any
..NET Framework on this server at all, so I went to the windows update
page, selected all of the missing Security Updates and the Framework
1.1 SP1 options, and installed them all. Now I have Framework 1.1 on
the server. I then tried to run my ASP.NET web page, but recieved a
"Server Application Unavailable" error message.

After spending all day reading various people's trials and tribulations
with this particular error, and the answers given to correct it, I
still cannot get my page to work -- sort of. If I change the
<processModel> setting to "SYSTEM" from "MACHINE", and recycle IIS,
then the web page works fine. Okay, so that tells me that there is a
permissions issue somewhere with the ASPNET user ID. Fine, so then I
went through the list of ACL changes that Microsoft and many
respondants of other people's questions about this on the group
suggested to check. I verified/changed all of the following suggested
folder location's security to allow the ASPNET enough access:

* %installroot%\ASP.NET Temporary Files
* %windir%\temp
* Application directory
* Web site root path
* %installroot% hierachy
* %windir%\assembly

ASPNET now has rights to all of these locations. I recycled IIS, and
still I get the error. I even gave "Full Control" access to ASPNET on
these folders to see if that would make a difference, but it didn't. I
then added ASPNET to the local Administrators group, recycled IIS,
retested my ASP.NET page, and it worked then. So, it appears that I am
still missing some folder and/or file that ASPNET needs to be able to
access.

This is a production server that has been working fine for years with
classic ASP, so I am trying to keep the changes to a minimum so that I
don't upset classic ASP and cause other problems. I would rather not 1)
use the "SYSTEM" method, or 2) make ASPNET an Administrator on this
server. Does anyone know of any folders/files other than I have listed
above that ASPNET would need access rights to? Is there anything else
I can look at that ASPNET might need configured for?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Larry

Larry

Hi again,

Never mind, I figured out what was missing. I saw in another thread
someone mentioning to try using FileMon to see what ASPNET was having a
problem with. I did this, and it had an ACCESS DENIED error on the
%windir%\system32 folder. I checked the folder and ASPNET only had
"Read" permissions. Apparently ASPNET needs "Read & Execute"
permissions on the %windir%\system32 folder. Actually, I tried giving
ASPNET "Full Control" to the folder first, and once that worked, I
started backing off permissions until I came to the minimum required.

I hope this info helps someone else.

Thanks anyway!

Larry