ASPNET user missing from Windows 2003?

Harry Simpson

Windows Server 2003 is supposed to include Framework 1.1 right. I don't
have it here but have reports that the web is not running.
The users say that the %COMPUTERNAME%\ASPNET user doesn't exist.

Questions:
1. is this user replaced by the %COMPUTERNAME%\NETWORK SERVICE user in
Windows 2003 Server (IIS6)?
2. if the ASPNET user still needed to run .NET apps and it's missing, how
would you add to a Windows 2003 Server box?

TIA

Harry

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Harry,

ASPNET will be missing from Windows Server 2003 unless you are running IIS
6 in IIS 5.0 isolation mode. The default application pool will run under
Network Service, but you can change that or create a new app pool to run
under a different user.

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
Developer Support
ASP.NET
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------

Harry Simpson

Thanks Jim,

Wanna run an existing ASPNET web app developed in VS2003. I need to get the
application directory rights to write etc within the website's root
directory. Before, i did this by granting the ASPNET user directory
priviledges. How do i enable these same priviledges now? %MACHINE
NAME%\NETWORK SERVICES ?

Some clients running Windows 2003 are not able to get the web site up and
running.

Thanks,
Harry Simpson, MCSD

From: "Harry Simpson" <[email protected]>
Subject: ASPNET user missing from Windows 2003?
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:11:01 -0600
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

Windows Server 2003 is supposed to include Framework 1.1 right. I don't
have it here but have reports that the web is not running.
The users say that the %COMPUTERNAME%\ASPNET user doesn't exist.

Questions:
1. is this user replaced by the %COMPUTERNAME%\NETWORK SERVICE user in
Windows 2003 Server (IIS6)?
2. if the ASPNET user still needed to run .NET apps and it's missing, how
would you add to a Windows 2003 Server box?

TIA

Harry

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Harry,

You can use the IIS_WPG group. You can also explicitly add NETWORK SERVICE
(which would actually be NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE), but the IIS_WPG
group was created for that purpose.

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
Developer Support
ASP.NET