ASPNET User on Win Server 2003 Domain Controller

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by SL, Feb 28, 2005.

  1. SL

    SL Guest

    How do I set up access to a file on a Windows Server 2003
    Domain Controller that also has IIS? The file sits on
    another server. The Domain Controller / IIS server
    connects to this file through a share. Domain controllers
    have no local users so ASPNET user is not available.

    Microsoft states, "On Windows 2003 domain controller
    servers, ASP.NET applications run under the NETWORK
    SERVICE identity (regardless of the IIS isolation mode).
    Under some circumstances, running ASP.NET on a domain
    controller requires that you take extra steps to make the
    installation work properly."

    1) What is the Network Service identity?

    2) What permissions do I setup on the Win Server 2003 to
    the file on the file server for the Network Service
    identity?

    3) What users and / or permissions, if any, do I setup on
    the file on the file server to enable the domain
    controller / IIS server to read and write to the file
    server file?
    SL, Feb 28, 2005

  2. SL

    bruce barker Guest

    the Network Service identity is a generic local account created on 2003
    servers that services (like asp.net) can run under. it a fairly
    non-privileged local account. this account (whitout some hacking) can not be
    used to access network shares.

    you want to create a low-privileged domain account for this purpose, and
    have asp.net run under it. (see machine account).

    if iis needs access, you map the shares and supply a domain account/password
    in the vdir.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Mar 1, 2005