ASPNET user on Windows 2003?

Jeremy Lew

I recently came across a Windows 2003 Server (German) system where ASP.NET
is configured to run as ASPNET user rather than as Network Service. Any
idea how this could happen without an admin manually configuring it that
way? Perhaps an installation that was upgraded from Windows 2000 Server?

Thanks
Jeremy

Brock Allen

IIS6 has an IIS5 mode, which uses the ASPNET account. Also, someone could
have simply set that as the identity of the AppPool.