    I heard someone say it was only needed on the developers machine. Sounded
    odd to me but I thought I'd ask.

    Cheers

    Justin, Oct 13, 2004

  2. Hi Justin,

    ASPNET user account is a least priviliged (meaning cannot do anything to
    harm your computer unless you tell him to do) on the server, where the
    ASP.NET runtime is hosted. It's created by the .NET installation. This
    account is used to run the aspnet_wp working process.

    This means, you will have to keep it on the server side only. Or
    alternatively you can define another account to run this process. (which
    seems to be a good practice especially if you are dealing with trusted
    subdomains, since with every service pack, microsoft messes with this account
    to reset its password for security reasons etc.) But, for a simple
    installation, you can use this account, so you don't have to do anything. The
    working process needs an account anyway, so either use this one or create
    another one to run the process.

    Hope this helps,

    Ethem Azun

    =?Utf-8?B?RXRoZW0gQXp1bg==?=, Oct 13, 2004

  3. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Thanks for your input. So in short you are saying unless you are running an
    asp.net process there is absolutely no need for the ASPNET user, i.e., no
    other .NET thread/process will run under its context.

    p.s. I understand there is no security risk here, I'm just throwing it out
    there as a hyperthetical.

    Thanks

    Justin, Oct 13, 2004
  4. Justin

    Scott Allen Guest

    You don't need the ASPNET account at all. In machine.config you can
    configure the asp.net runtime to run under a different account. The
    account needs the correct permissions set, but when properly
    configured to use a different account you don't need the ASPNET
    account at all.

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com/

    Scott Allen, Oct 13, 2004
  5. Yes, only the server needs this.

    Also as Scott says, you can use another account to run this process, but I
    think you don't need this at the moment. There are several options if you
    want to do this, but stick to the default ASPNET user if you don't really
    need this.

    Have a nice day,

    Ethem

    =?Utf-8?B?RXRoZW0gQXp1bg==?=, Oct 13, 2004