    Alberto Guest

    Could you tell me witch are the advantages of using aspnet instead php?
    Thank you

    Alberto, Sep 25, 2007

  2. Alberto

    Vinnie Guest

    On Sep 25, 6:43 pm, "Alberto" <> wrote:
    > Could you tell me witch are the advantages of using aspnet instead php?
    > Thank you

    PHP = balloon

    ASP.NET 2.0 = space shuttle.

    bye... have a good flight :)

    Vinnie, Sep 25, 2007

  3. Alberto

    Shelly Guest

    "Vinnie" <> wrote in message
    > On Sep 25, 6:43 pm, "Alberto" <> wrote:
    >> Could you tell me witch are the advantages of using aspnet instead php?
    >> Thank you

    > PHP = balloon
    >
    > ASP.NET 2.0 = space shuttle.
    >
    > bye... have a good flight :)

    In most cases it boils down to:

    php ---> (free) MySQL --> *nix servers.
    asp.net --> (costly) SQL Server, etc. --> Windows servers

    I found php VERY easy to learn (coming from the C and Java background) and
    very easy to use. Also, there is a site, www.php.net, that is fantastic --
    even for veteran php programmers.

    By contrast, I had to push and poke my way through my first learning
    experience with asp.net, vb.net and if it weren't for people like Mark and
    others here in this group, I still wouldn't be there. There is nothing to
    compare with www.php.net for referencing. What took me four days to do in
    php, took me two and a half weeks to duplicate in asp/vb net. Granted, I am
    experienced in php and am learning asp/vb net.

    There are many nice features in both.

    Shelly

    Shelly, Sep 26, 2007
  4. The main advantage of php was:

    - It's supossed to be fre.
    - Hosting used to be cheaper than .net

    Nowdats, you can develop good web applications using Visual Studio Express
    for Web Developers (free), and there are a lot of cheap hostings for ASP .net
    (godaddy, ASP .net discount...)

    /// ------------------------------
    /// Braulio Diez
    ///
    /// http://www.tipsdotnet.com
    /// ------------------------------

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJhdWxpbyBEaWV6?=, Sep 26, 2007
  5. On Sep 26, 11:48 am, "Shelly" <> wrote:
    > "Vinnie" <> wrote in message

    > > On Sep 25, 6:43 pm, "Alberto" <> wrote:
    > >> Could you tell me witch are the advantages of using aspnet instead php?
    > >> Thank you

    > > PHP = balloon

    > > ASP.NET 2.0 = space shuttle.

    > > bye... have a good flight :)

    > In most cases it boils down to:
    >
    > php ---> (free) MySQL --> *nix servers.
    > asp.net --> (costly) SQL Server, etc. --> Windows servers
    >
    > I found php VERY easy to learn (coming from the C and Java background) and
    > very easy to use. Also, there is a site,www.php.net, that is fantastic --
    > even for veteran php programmers.
    >
    > By contrast, I had to push and poke my way through my first learning
    > experience with asp.net, vb.net and if it weren't for people like Mark and
    > others here in this group, I still wouldn't be there. There is nothing to
    > compare withwww.php.netfor referencing. What took me four days to do in
    > php, took me two and a half weeks to duplicate in asp/vb net. Granted, I am
    > experienced in php and am learning asp/vb net.
    >
    > There are many nice features in both.
    >
    > Shelly

    Visual Studio and SQL Server are both available as free Express
    editions, but it depends on your requirements and budget.

    ..NET supports C#, which will feel familiar to anyone coming from a C+
    +, Java or Perl background.

    ASP.NET is well documented, a comprehensive reference is available on
    MSDN.

    Chris Fulstow, Sep 26, 2007
  6. On Sep 26, 12:43 am, "Alberto" <> wrote:
    > Could you tell me witch are the advantages of using aspnet instead php?
    > Thank you

    ....using for what purpose?

    Alexey Smirnov, Sep 26, 2007
  7. "Shelly" <> wrote in message

    > php ---> (free) MySQL --> *nix servers.
    > asp.net --> (costly) SQL Server, etc. --> Windows servers

    For the record, ASP.NET can use MySQL just as easily as it can use SQL
    Server, and ASP.NET runs quite happily on Linux via Mono...

    Visual Web Developer Express is perfectly capable of producing sophisticated
    ASP.NET apps and is totally free, as is SQL Server Express...

    > Granted, I am experienced in php and am learning asp/vb net.

    And that's the thing...

    It's always like that when people who are experienced in one technology move
    over to a new technology which is completely different, even though it does
    the same thing...

    Once the mindset has shifted, it all becomes clear.

    This is especially true of experienced ASP Classic developers coming to
    ASP.NET for the first time - I've even seen ASP.NET code where ADO has been
    referenced by COMInterop...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Sep 26, 2007
  8. "Braulio Diez" <> wrote in message

    > and there are a lot of cheap hostings for ASP .net (godaddy, ASP .net
    > discount...)

    As a general rule, stay as far away from GoDaddy as you possibly can...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Sep 26, 2007
  9. Alberto

    Shelly Guest

    "Chris Fulstow" <> wrote in message
    > On Sep 26, 11:48 am, "Shelly" <> wrote:
    >> "Vinnie" <> wrote in message

    >> > PHP = balloon

    >> > ASP.NET 2.0 = space shuttle.

    >> > bye... have a good flight :)

    >> In most cases it boils down to:
    >>
    >> php ---> (free) MySQL --> *nix servers.
    >> asp.net --> (costly) SQL Server, etc. --> Windows servers
    >>
    >> I found php VERY easy to learn (coming from the C and Java background)
    >> and
    >> very easy to use. Also, there is a site,www.php.net, that is
    >> fantastic --
    >> even for veteran php programmers.
    >>
    >> By contrast, I had to push and poke my way through my first learning
    >> experience with asp.net, vb.net and if it weren't for people like Mark
    >> and
    >> others here in this group, I still wouldn't be there. There is nothing
    >> compare withwww.php.netfor referencing. What took me four days to do in
    >> php, took me two and a half weeks to duplicate in asp/vb net. Granted, I
    >> am
    >> experienced in php and am learning asp/vb net.
    >>
    >> There are many nice features in both.
    >>
    >> Shelly

    > Visual Studio and SQL Server are both available as free Express
    > editions, but it depends on your requirements and budget.

    Yes, I know. These are what I have using on my local machine during my
    learning process. Administering the SQL Server has been somewhat of a
    challenge, however. I find that using phpmyadmin on MySQL soooooo much more
    straightforward.

    > .NET supports C#, which will feel familiar to anyone coming from a C+
    > +, Java or Perl background.

    PHP is very familiar to anyone with a C or Java or C++ background as well.
    All you need to remember is that all variables start with a "$". Otherwise,
    it is essentially (but not entirely) C coding. Yes, .NET is far, far more
    object oriented. The problem for me has been to find where to get started
    to find the proper class/subclass to use and to find the documentation for
    what each of the methods do. It has not been the language. It has been the
    lack of clear AND EASILY LOCATABLE documentation.

    > ASP.NET is well documented, a comprehensive reference is available on
    > MSDN.

    I disagree with you use of the word "well". Perhaps once I gain much more
    experience then that will be so for me as well. For someone starting out in
    ..NET, however, I can tell you from experience "it just aint so". That is
    why people like Mark and others in this group have been so important to me.
    (Thanks again, folks).

    Shelly

    Shelly, Sep 26, 2007
  10. Alberto

    Shelly Guest

    "Mark Rae [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > "Braulio Diez" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> and there are a lot of cheap hostings for ASP .net (godaddy, ASP .net
    >> discount...)

    > As a general rule, stay as far away from GoDaddy as you possibly can...

    Why? I've seen you write this before. Frankly, I have been rather pleased
    with them -- and especially their prompt tech support which is 24/7. Now if
    you want to talk about Dreamhost........ :-(

    Shelly

    Shelly, Sep 26, 2007
  11. "Shelly" <> wrote in message

    > "Mark Rae [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    >> "Braulio Diez" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> and there are a lot of cheap hostings for ASP .net (godaddy, ASP .net
    >>> discount...)

    >> As a general rule, stay as far away from GoDaddy as you possibly can...

    > Why? I've seen you write this before.

    They're no use at all for anything other than the most basic of sites, due
    to the huge amount of restrictions they impose...

    http://www.velocityreviews.com/foru...ow-connection-to-remote-database-systems.html
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/community/aspnet/12/75845/what-is-the-best-widows-h.aspx
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/community/aspnet/12/75846/if-you-check-on-asp-net.aspx
    http://www.west-wind.com/WebLog/posts/112718.aspx

    Etc...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Sep 26, 2007
  12. Alberto

    Shelly Guest

    Mark, do you keep a library of URLs with which to answer questions? You
    seem to always have a few at your fingertips.

    Shelly

    Shelly, Sep 26, 2007
  13. Mark Rae [MVP], Sep 26, 2007
  14. Hi Mark,

    That's a quite interesting topic. I know that GoDaddy is one of the
    cheapest hostings but I have heard as well a lot of bad things about it.

    Currently I'm using ASP .net discount, and seems to be ok (very good
    control panel, separate sever for the SQL Server DB, ...), but a bit slow.
    What other hosting choices are there available, paying a reasonable monthly
    fee?

    Thanks
    Braulio

    /// ------------------------------
    /// Braulio Diez
    ///
    /// http://www.tipsdotnet.com
    /// ------------------------------

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJhdWxpbyBEaWV6?=, Sep 27, 2007
  15. "Braulio Diez" <> wrote in message

    > I know that GoDaddy is one of the cheapest hostings
    > but I have heard as well a lot of bad things about it.

    I would strongly suggest that the above two statements are not unrelated...

    You (don't) get what you (don't) pay for...

    I use this company: http://www.hostinguk.net

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP