aspnet wp recycling.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by adam, Jan 14, 2004.

  1. adam

    adam Guest

    Hi

    I Have a problem with and asp.net application recycling.
    ON the development machines it works fine, but on the
    clients machine it keeps recycling.

    When some users access the app, the browser returns a
    Server Application Unavailable message. In the event log
    there is an error

    aspnet_wp.exe (PID: xxxx) stopped unexpectedly.

    Other users are able to access it fine to do the same
    things. Some users can access it from some client
    machines, but not others.

    I think this means it is recycling itself, but I do not
    know why this should be. There is plenty of unused memory
    on the server. I have no reason to believe that there is
    a deadlock situation, although I am not sure how to
    confirm this.

    The server is running Win2k, with version 1.1 of the
    framework.

    Where should I go next?
    adam, Jan 14, 2004

  2. You may have a performance bottleneck that is causing this. If a Request
    takes too long to process, a deadlock will be suspected, and the process
    will recycle.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Jan 14, 2004

  3. adam

    adam Guest

    Thanks, but I am no further forward with this.
    The settings in the processModel element of
    machine.config are

    enable="true"
    timeout="Infinite"
    idleTimeout="Infinite"
    shutdownTimeout="0:00:10"
    requestLimit="Infinite"
    requestQueueLimit="5000"
    restartQueueLimit="10"
    responseDeadlockInterval="00:10:00"
    maxWorkerThreads="20"
    maxIoThreads="20"

    These are the same as the development machine. There are
    no other applications competing for resources on the
    production server. The development machine returns the
    page in 1 s or less, so if the deadlock interval is set
    to 10, is it likely that this is what is happening?

    Adam

    adam, Jan 14, 2004
  4. adam

    Hermit Dave Guest

    plus check the machine config file for your dev box and the server....
    check the processModel element.... that would additionally define how aspnet
    worker process behaved and how it restarted.... you have params like recycle
    after this make request or after this much time... you have a few options so
    have a look into it as well...

    --
    Regards,

    HD

    Hermit Dave, Jan 14, 2004
  5. Adam,
    Have your session state settings changed between
    environments? I've encountered this problem when adding
    objects to session that were not marked as [Serializable
    ()]. My development machine was storing session
    information InProcess, while the test machine was using
    SqlServer to manage session.

    hth
    Barry

    Barry Forrest, Jan 14, 2004
  6. adam

    adam Guest

    Thanks again,

    but both machines are configured to store state in
    process.

    Adam

    adam, Jan 14, 2004
  7. adam

    Hermit Dave Guest

    try using ProcessModelInfo class and ProcessInfo class
    this is what they look like. You can query them on application start to log
    the reason for the shutdown...

    public class ProcessModelInfo
    {
    public static ProcessInfo GetCurrentProcessInfo();
    public static ProcessInfo[] GetHistory(int num);
    }

    public class ProcessInfo
    {
    public TimeSpan Age { get; }
    public int PeakMemoryUsed { get; }
    public int ProcessID { get; }
    public int RequestCount {get; }
    public ProcessShutDownReason ShutdownReason { get; }
    public DateTime StateTime { get; }
    public ProcessStatus Status { get; }

    Regards,

    HD

    Hermit Dave, Jan 14, 2004
  8. adam

    Hermit Dave Guest

    Adam,

    did you give it a try.. ie did you finally get the reason(s) why the process
    was shutdown/ restarted ?

    --

    Regards,

    HD

    Hermit Dave, Jan 15, 2004
  9. Hi Adam,

    Thank you for using MSDN Newsgroup! My name is Steven, and I'll be
    assisting you on this issue.
    From your description, you found your ASP.NET web application worked well
    for some clients and had some problem with some others. And you thought the
    problem was the asp.net worker process being recycled sometimes?

    Based on my experience, generally there are some certain reasons which may
    cause the server process to recycle itself:
    1. the application's web.config has been modified
    2. The "bin" sub directory or its sub direcotrys occurs any modification
    3. Some of the server's properties has been beyond its limitation.

    I think you may first check out the above items to see whether there're any
    code in the application which may fire some of the causes. Also, as Hermit
    suggested , you may try using the
    public class ProcessModelInfo
    {
    public static ProcessInfo GetCurrentProcessInfo();
    public static ProcessInfo[] GetHistory(int num);
    }

    public class ProcessInfo
    {
    public TimeSpan Age { get; }
    public int PeakMemoryUsed { get; }
    public int ProcessID { get; }
    public int RequestCount {get; }
    public ProcessShutDownReason ShutdownReason { get; }
    public DateTime StateTime { get; }
    public ProcessStatus Status { get; }
    }

    Class to monitor the server process's performance. For example the "
    ShutdownReason" member can provide us some information on the process's
    down reason. And here is a tech ariticle which mainly instruct how to make
    good use of the above class to monitor the ASP.NET workerprocess:

    #Watching Your Server Processes
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html
    /aspnet-watchserverprocesses.asp

    You may have a look if you think it necessary to have a monitoring on the
    worker process.

    In addition, since such problem may be caused by different kinds of
    unexptected reasons. Would you please provide some more infos on what
    operation you've made in your application's code so as for use to do some
    further researches on this issue. Thanks.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security