aspnet wp recycling.

adam

Hi

I Have a problem with and asp.net application recycling.
ON the development machines it works fine, but on the
clients machine it keeps recycling.

When some users access the app, the browser returns a
Server Application Unavailable message. In the event log
there is an error

aspnet_wp.exe (PID: xxxx) stopped unexpectedly.

Other users are able to access it fine to do the same
things. Some users can access it from some client
machines, but not others.

I think this means it is recycling itself, but I do not
know why this should be. There is plenty of unused memory
on the server. I have no reason to believe that there is
a deadlock situation, although I am not sure how to
confirm this.

The server is running Win2k, with version 1.1 of the
framework.

Where should I go next?

Kevin Spencer

You may have a performance bottleneck that is causing this. If a Request
takes too long to process, a deadlock will be suspected, and the process
will recycle.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

adam

Thanks, but I am no further forward with this.
The settings in the processModel element of
machine.config are

enable="true"
timeout="Infinite"
idleTimeout="Infinite"
shutdownTimeout="0:00:10"
requestLimit="Infinite"
requestQueueLimit="5000"
restartQueueLimit="10"
responseDeadlockInterval="00:10:00"
maxWorkerThreads="20"
maxIoThreads="20"

These are the same as the development machine. There are
no other applications competing for resources on the
production server. The development machine returns the
page in 1 s or less, so if the deadlock interval is set
to 10, is it likely that this is what is happening?

Adam

Hermit Dave

plus check the machine config file for your dev box and the server....
check the processModel element.... that would additionally define how aspnet
worker process behaved and how it restarted.... you have params like recycle
after this make request or after this much time... you have a few options so
have a look into it as well...

--
Regards,

HD

Once a Geek.... Always a Geek

Barry Forrest

Adam,
Have your session state settings changed between
environments? I've encountered this problem when adding
objects to session that were not marked as [Serializable
()]. My development machine was storing session
information InProcess, while the test machine was using
SqlServer to manage session.

hth
Barry

adam

Thanks again,

but both machines are configured to store state in
process.

[...]

Adam suspected,
and the process there
is
.
.

Hermit Dave

try using ProcessModelInfo class and ProcessInfo class
this is what they look like. You can query them on application start to log
the reason for the shutdown...

public class ProcessModelInfo
{
public static ProcessInfo GetCurrentProcessInfo();
public static ProcessInfo[] GetHistory(int num);
}

public class ProcessInfo
{
public TimeSpan Age { get; }
public int PeakMemoryUsed { get; }
public int ProcessID { get; }
public int RequestCount {get; }
public ProcessShutDownReason ShutdownReason { get; }
public DateTime StateTime { get; }
public ProcessStatus Status { get; }

Regards,

HD

Once a Geek.... Always a Geek
adam said:
[...]

did you give it a try.. ie did you finally get the reason(s) why the process
was shutdown/ restarted ?

--

Regards,

HD

adam said:
[...]

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Adam,

Thank you for using MSDN Newsgroup! My name is Steven, and I'll be
assisting you on this issue.
From your description, you found your ASP.NET web application worked well
for some clients and had some problem with some others. And you thought the
problem was the asp.net worker process being recycled sometimes?

Based on my experience, generally there are some certain reasons which may
cause the server process to recycle itself:
1. the application's web.config has been modified
2. The "bin" sub directory or its sub direcotrys occurs any modification
3. Some of the server's properties has been beyond its limitation.

I think you may first check out the above items to see whether there're any
code in the application which may fire some of the causes. Also, as Hermit
suggested , you may try using the
public class ProcessModelInfo
{
public static ProcessInfo GetCurrentProcessInfo();
public static ProcessInfo[] GetHistory(int num);
}

public class ProcessInfo
{
public TimeSpan Age { get; }
public int PeakMemoryUsed { get; }
public int ProcessID { get; }
public int RequestCount {get; }
public ProcessShutDownReason ShutdownReason { get; }
public DateTime StateTime { get; }
public ProcessStatus Status { get; }
}

Class to monitor the server process's performance. For example the "
ShutdownReason" member can provide us some information on the process's
down reason. And here is a tech ariticle which mainly instruct how to make
good use of the above class to monitor the ASP.NET workerprocess:

#Watching Your Server Processes
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html
/aspnet-watchserverprocesses.asp

You may have a look if you think it necessary to have a monitoring on the
worker process.

In addition, since such problem may be caused by different kinds of
unexptected reasons. Would you please provide some more infos on what
operation you've made in your application's code so as for use to do some
further researches on this issue. Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security