    days of asp.net 2.0.

    Am I missing something obvious here?

    -Brett-

    CuriousGeorge, Mar 27, 2006

  2. CuriousGeorge

    Bruce Barker Guest

    no. the aspnet_compiler.exe has no exclude feature. maybe the next release.
    you could use a msbuild script that deleted them from the target dir. the
    other approach (mine) is to have a dir layer above

    /myproj
    /deploy
    /web
    /docs
    /unittests
    /library

    where /web is only the website sources.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, Mar 28, 2006

  3. CuriousGeorge

    intrader Guest

    On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:47:54 -0800, CuriousGeorge wrote:

    > I'm using aspnet_compiler to precompile my web app for deployment.
    > Currently it copies all subfolders from the asp.net projects source folder
    > to my destination folder. I have some files I do not want it to copy when
    > deploying this app, is there any way to exclude them? I like to keep all
    > files related to my projects within that projects folder hierarchy (such as
    > schemas, documentation, etc), but I don't want them deployed, or to have to
    > remember to delete them from the deployment folder).
    >
    > In the old asp.net 1.1 days we had project files like we do for C# or VB
    > projects. With a project file it was easy to define which files are a part
    > of the actual project. I don't see any way to do this in the project-less
    > days of asp.net 2.0.
    >
    > Am I missing something obvious here?
    >
    > -Brett-

    You may look in NAnt (a build tool). It may help you with this situation.

    intrader, Mar 28, 2006
  4. Hi Brett,

    I think Bruce's suggestion is reasonable. Also, since ASP.NET 2.0 Web
    application is projectless and just exist in the form of a normal directory
    on the file system, we can use a custom batch/script file to copy the files
    which want to deploy to a new directory, and then open the new directory in
    VS 2005 ide as website and publish it.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Mar 28, 2006
  5. CuriousGeorge

    Mark Rae Guest

    > I don't see any way to do this in the project-less days of asp.net 2.0.

    You're right - Microsoft, er, removed all that lovely functionality from
    ASP.NET v2...

    Luckily, pressure from developers actually worked for a change, and they are
    currently in the final stages of delivering an add-in to VS.NET 2005 which
    includes what you require, amd much more besides.

    You can download the latest beta here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/reference/infrastructure/wdp/

    Also, you should keep a regular eye on Scott Guthrie's blog:
    http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/06/429723.aspx
    He's one of the main guys at Microsoft working on this project, and is
    extremely helpful.

    Web deployment in ASP.NET 2 was a real pain without this add-in, but now
    it's even better than it was in v1.x

    Mark Rae, Mar 28, 2006
  6. CuriousGeorge

    Mark Rae Guest

    > Ooh, this looks tempting. Thanks for the links Mark, this may be just
    > what I need...

    Once you've sorted out the ability to exclude files and/or folders from the
    deployed code, you'll love the ability to replace entire sections of
    web.config... :)

    For me, the biggest advantage of this is to automatically replace my
    database connection strings between DEV, UAT and live environments at the
    flick of a switch!

    Mark Rae, Mar 28, 2006