aspnet_compiler - exclude files

CuriousGeorge

I'm using aspnet_compiler to precompile my web app for deployment.
Currently it copies all subfolders from the asp.net projects source folder
to my destination folder. I have some files I do not want it to copy when
deploying this app, is there any way to exclude them? I like to keep all
files related to my projects within that projects folder hierarchy (such as
schemas, documentation, etc), but I don't want them deployed, or to have to
remember to delete them from the deployment folder).

In the old asp.net 1.1 days we had project files like we do for C# or VB
projects. With a project file it was easy to define which files are a part
of the actual project. I don't see any way to do this in the project-less
days of asp.net 2.0.

Am I missing something obvious here?

-Brett-

Bruce Barker

no. the aspnet_compiler.exe has no exclude feature. maybe the next release.
you could use a msbuild script that deleted them from the target dir. the
other approach (mine) is to have a dir layer above

/myproj
/deploy
/web
/docs
/unittests
/library

where /web is only the website sources.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

intrader

I'm using aspnet_compiler to precompile my web app for deployment.
Currently it copies all subfolders from the asp.net projects source folder
to my destination folder. I have some files I do not want it to copy when
deploying this app, is there any way to exclude them? I like to keep all
files related to my projects within that projects folder hierarchy (such as
schemas, documentation, etc), but I don't want them deployed, or to have to
remember to delete them from the deployment folder).

In the old asp.net 1.1 days we had project files like we do for C# or VB
projects. With a project file it was easy to define which files are a part
of the actual project. I don't see any way to do this in the project-less
days of asp.net 2.0.

Am I missing something obvious here?

-Brett-
You may look in NAnt (a build tool). It may help you with this situation.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Brett,

I think Bruce's suggestion is reasonable. Also, since ASP.NET 2.0 Web
application is projectless and just exist in the form of a normal directory
on the file system, we can use a custom batch/script file to copy the files
which want to deploy to a new directory, and then open the new directory in
VS 2005 ide as website and publish it.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Community Support

Mark Rae

I don't see any way to do this in the project-less days of asp.net 2.0.

You're right - Microsoft, er, removed all that lovely functionality from
ASP.NET v2...

Luckily, pressure from developers actually worked for a change, and they are
currently in the final stages of delivering an add-in to VS.NET 2005 which
includes what you require, amd much more besides.

You can download the latest beta here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/reference/infrastructure/wdp/

Also, you should keep a regular eye on Scott Guthrie's blog:
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/06/429723.aspx
He's one of the main guys at Microsoft working on this project, and is
extremely helpful.

Web deployment in ASP.NET 2 was a real pain without this add-in, but now
it's even better than it was in v1.x

Mark Rae

Ooh, this looks tempting. Thanks for the links Mark, this may be just
what I need...

Once you've sorted out the ability to exclude files and/or folders from the
deployed code, you'll love the ability to replace entire sections of
web.config... :)

For me, the biggest advantage of this is to automatically replace my
database connection strings between DEV, UAT and live environments at the
flick of a switch!