aspnet_regiis.exe -i fails in windows server 2008

anbaesivam

OS: Windows Server 2008

When I try to install ASP.NET using the command "aspnet_regiis.exe -i", the
installation closes with the following message

------------
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: aspnetca.exe
Application Version: 7.0.6001.18000
Application Timestamp: 47918bb9
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Fault Module Timestamp: 47919464
Exception Code: 80000003
Exception Offset: 0003480c
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.274.10
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 3431
Additional Information 2: e3cbd217e60838f494bdf056c9f0760a
Additional Information 3: 7e5d
Additional Information 4: fa31a74e8228a8fbb6b5a733018b19fc

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi,

Which version of ASP.NET are you installing? You can refer to the following
article to learn how to install ASP.NET on Windows 2008:

http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/472/how-to-install-aspnet-11-with-iis7-on-vis
ta-and-windows-2008/

If it still doesn't work, could you check the event logs to see if you can
get any information there?

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

(e-mail address removed).

anbaesivam

I tried to install ASP.NET version 2.0.

In the event viewer, following message is given

<snip from Message given in General Tab>
Faulting application aspnetca.exe, version 7.0.6001.18000, time stamp
0x47918bb9, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp
0x47919464, exception code 0x80000003, fault offset 0x0003480c, process id
0x964, application start time 0x01c9a6bab412e970.
<snip end>

<snip message shown in Detail Tab>
- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<EventRecordID>612</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>rlab-2k8.rlab.local</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>aspnetca.exe</Data>
<Data>7.0.6001.18000</Data>
<Data>47918bb9</Data>
<Data>ntdll.dll</Data>
<Data>6.0.6001.18000</Data>
<Data>47919464</Data>
<Data>80000003</Data>
<Data>0003480c</Data>
<Data>964</Data>
<Data>01c9a6bab412e970</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
<snip>

anbaesivam

The given URL is for installing ASP.net ver 1.1. But I want to install
ASp.Net 2.0.

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi,

In the first paragraph it shows how to install ASP.NET 2.0.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

anbaesivam

Yes, I know that how to install ASP.NET 2.0 through IIS.

My application need ASP.net 2.0. So, when my application is installed, the
Windows installer will execute "aspnet_regiis -i" to install asp.net 2.0.

Please let me know is there is any other method to install asp.net 2.0
programmatically using c#.

Juan T. Llibre

Since you're using Windows 2008/IIS 7.0, you no longer need to use aspnet_regiis
to set the .Net Framework version you want your application to run against.

What you do in IIS 7 is set the runtime version for the Application Pool your app will run in.

That makes much more sense than using aspnet_regiis since all IIS processes
within the same Application Pool must run the same version of the .Net Framework.

You can do that in the IIS Manager's User Interface or, programmatically, you need to :

1. Use appcmd.exe to create/configure your IIS website,
application, application pool, and/or virtual directory.

This article gives you the basics :

http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/114/getting-started-with-appcmdexe/

2. Set the managed runtime version property for the
Application Pool your application is going to be running under.

This blog entry tells you how to do that.
There's a C# sample which uses the Microsoft.Web.Administration class there.

I'd also recommend that you download/install the Windows 2008 SDK :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A4-741A-433A-9BE5-FA919850BDBF&displaylang=en

There's tons of very useful IIS 7.0 samples in it.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/

Juan T. Llibre

Allen Chen [MSFT]