aspnet_regiis.exe -i is VERY slow

Don Thimsen

I'm trying to install MS Exchange 2003 which requires ASP.NET. When I
attempt to install the ASP.NET windows component, the process takes over 15
minutes.
When looking at the ASPNETSeup.log, there is one section that stands out:

2005-02-10 16:33:03 Success Install the ASP.NET State Service
2005-02-10 16:33:03 Starting Install the ASP.NET Perfomanace counters
2005-02-10 16:40:35 Success Install the ASP.NET Perfomanace counters
2005-02-10 16:40:35 Starting Install common performance counters
2005-02-10 16:48:07 Success Install common performance counters
2005-02-10 16:48:07 Starting Installing client script files

So, the installation of the ASP.NET Performance and common performance
counters takes 15 minutes...

I wouldn't mind that it takes so long, but when I try installing MS Exchange
2003, the exchange
install process also hangs, and the MSInstaller gets marked as Stopped.
Exchange 2003 looks like
it installs (add/remove programs directory has an entry), but none of the
services or admin applications
are actually there.

When examining the Exchange install log, the Aspnet_regiis.exe -i is about
the last thing that was
run. Then the installer quits.

Any ideas about what might be going on?

Note: I have ZERO experience with ASP.NET and and only here because I'd like
get Exchange installed.

Thanks,
Don

PS. ASP.NET is at v1.1.4322