aspnet_regiis permissions needed

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by PeterP, Dec 12, 2007.

  1. PeterP

    PeterP Guest

    following scenario:

    I am using aspnet_regiis to encrypt parts of my web.config. this works fine
    on the development machine. Now I move to the integration machine which is
    based on a hardened server image. The user I am logged in with is in the
    local administrators group. Creating the key container succeeds, but when I
    try to encrypt the web.config section, I get the error:

    Failed to encrypt the section 'appSettings' using provider
    'RsaProtectedConfigurationProvider'. Error message from the provider: The RSA
    key container could not be opened.
    Failed!

    With a second account that is in the same domain as the first and as well in
    the local administrators group. When I execute the exact same steps (create
    container and then encrypt) everything works as expected.

    My suspision now is that in the hardened server image a specific right was
    explicitly granted to the second administrative account and not to the first
    one.

    Can anyone elaborate on the specific permissions needed for an account when
    encrypting with aspnet_regiis?

    Any help is strongly appreciated.
    Peter

    PeterP, Dec 12, 2007