ASPNET_REGSQL error: String or binary data would be truncated. (81

George Jackson

I am using Visual Studio 2005, Standard Edition, and Sql Server 2005 (not the
Express Edition). When I run the ASP.NET SQL Setup Wizard
(aspnet_regsql.exe), I get the following error:

SQL Server:
Database: [QMSystem]
SQL file loaded:
InstallCommon.sql

Commands failed:

CREATE TABLE #aspnet_Permissions
(
Owner sysname,
Object sysname,
Grantee sysname,
Grantor sysname,
ProtectType char(10),
[Action] varchar(20),
[Column] sysname
)

INSERT INTO #aspnet_Permissions
EXEC sp_helprotect

IF (EXISTS (SELECT name
FROM sysobjects
WHERE (name = N'aspnet_Setup_RestorePermissions')
AND (type = 'P')))
DROP PROCEDURE [dbo].aspnet_Setup_RestorePermissions

SQL Exception:
System.Data.SqlClient SqlException: String or binary data would be truncated.
at System.Data.SqlClientSqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception,
Boolean breakConnection) ...

What do I need to do to correct this?

George Jackson

I found out that the database was originally created by a beta version of Sql
Server 2005. I created a new database, ran ASPNET_REGSQL against. No errors
appeared. I created a SQL script to move certain database items to the new
database. Problem solved!