aspnet_setreg error with v1.1

Andy

Hi all,

I am trying to use aspnet_setreg to encrypt a user name
and password to be used in the sessionstate section of my
web.config file. I have the various knowledge base
articles from Microsoft on the subject (329290 and 821616)

This is in a Windows 2003 Server environment, with .Net
1.1

I believe that the values are being written to the
registry correctly, and I have set access to the network
service.

However, when I run the ASP.Net application I receive the
following error message:

Parser Error Message: Format of the initialization string
does not conform to specification starting at index 0.

The web.config session state entry reads as follows:

<sessionState
mode="SQLServer"
stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1;42424"
sqlConnectionString="registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\MyApp\sessionSt
ate\ASPNET_SETREG,sqlConnectionString"
cookieless="false"
timeout="1440"
/>

Any help gratefully received

Andy

FYI the answer is that you MUST give read access to the
Network Service user on the server to EVERY LEVEL of the
registry entry. I had only given access to the top and
bottom levels :-(

Andy