aspnet_wp.exe could not be started

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Nathan, Sep 21, 2004.

  1. Nathan

    Nathan Guest

    Hi,

    I have IIS running on a windows 2000 (SP4) box (not a DC) with the 1.1
    version of the framework. The application runs just fine until early
    evening each day - then people start to receive Server Unavailable.

    Looking into the EventLog:

    aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
    80070718. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
    insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure that the
    ..NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the installation
    directory allow access to the configured account.

    I haven't been able to find any information on that error code. Rebooting
    the machine fixes the problem for another day. All of the account
    information for ASPNET is unchanged as is the machine.config - the worker
    process is running as "machine".

    Does anyone have any ideas what could cause the worker process to be unable
    to load at some point after it has been working for most of the day?

    Any suggestion is appreciated.

    TIA,

    Nathan

    Nathan, Sep 21, 2004

  2. Nathan

    Paul King Guest

    Basically the ASPNET account does not have rights to the webpage you are
    calling this from.

    Ensure that when you view security settings on the root of your website or
    virtual directory that the ASPNET account is listed.

    Regards
    Paul.

    Paul King, Sep 22, 2004

  3. Nathan

    Nathan Guest

    Paul - Thanks for the reply.

    The only issue I have with that suggestion is that the entire project works
    for the majority of a business day. It only quits working after the app has
    been up for about 8 hours.

    My current line of thinking is that perhaps a max number of sessions is
    being reached or maybe some memory limit is being hit.

    Does that even sound plausible? Would it cause the same error message in
    the event log?

    Thanks!

    Nathan

    Nathan, Sep 22, 2004
  4. I have both an answer and a question to add to this thread.

    I am having the same problem with my application. And I notice that the
    ASP.NET application crashes when the aspnet_wp.exe restarts (when the worker
    process restarts).

    So to answer your question; Yes it's when either memory, process time, or a
    session limit has exceeded, that the worker process restarts. Normally
    however, the worker process re-cycles and produces a new thread to allow for
    new sessions.

    My problem is that I have already changed the application anonymous user to
    ASPNET for the appropriate permissions. But the worker process still is
    having problems restarting.

    After un-installing, removing, re-installing the entire .NET library (and
    its security patches) AND setting the appropriate permissions to ASPNET user,
    I am still getting "aspnet_wp.exe could not be started" errors.

    If you have any solution or a fix for this problem, I'd appreciate it if you
    can keep me informed. My email is

    Thank you in advance for all your help.

    - Eyal

    =?Utf-8?B?RXlhbA==?=, Apr 18, 2005