aspnet_wp.exe in a deadlocked state

Antonio Concepcion

Hi!
We have an ASP.NET web site experiencing errors saying that
aspnet_wp.exe got into a deadlock state and was recycled. Specifically the
Client browser gets the following message:

*****************************
Server Application Unavailable

The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is
currently
unavailable. Please hit "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your
request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific
request
failure can be found in the system event log of the web server. Please
review this
log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.
*******************
When I check the event log, I have the following messages during those
events:

******************************
aspnet_wp.exe (PID: 2408) was recycled because it was
suspected to be in a deadlocked state. It did not send any

or

aspnet_wp.exe (PID: 2024) was recycled because it was
suspected to be in a deadlocked state. It did not send any

etc.
*******************************

We are currently using Dot Net Framework 1.0 with Service Pack 3 installed.
The service pack did not seem to solve the problem.And it happens at any
time with no
predictable pattern.
Thank you for any help,
Antonio Concepcion

Scott Allen

This type of problem can be hard to track down.

Do you use any locks or mutexes in the application? Do you make any web service
calls to remote server while processing a request?

jongalloway

First, make sure that you're not breaking into the debugger in the
production app:
System.Diagnostics.Debugger.Break();
It's not likely, but if you are you'll see just this behavior and
you'll feel very stupid. I'll admit to having made this mistake.

Also take a look at KB 821268 if you're making TCP requests from inside
your code (including web service calls).
PRB: Contention, poor performance, and deadlocks when you make Web
service requests from ASP.NET applications:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821268
- Jon
http://weblogs.asp.net/jgalloway