aspnet_wp.exe (PID: 2248) stopped unexpectedly.

John A Grandy

Has anyone unexpectedly encountered the following error for an ASP.NET
application that was working fine?

web page displays error:

Server Application Unavailable
The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is
currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser
to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific
request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server.
Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

1st Event Viewer error:

Source: .NET Runtime
Category: None
Event: 0

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( .NET Runtime ) cannot be
found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following
information is part of the event: .NET Runtime version 1.1.4322.2032-
aspnet_wp.exe - Common Language Runtime Debugging Services: Application has
generated an exception that could not be handled.

Process id=0x8c8 (2248), Thread id=0x8e8 (2280).

Click OK to terminate the application.
Click CANCEL to debug the application..

2nd Event Viewer error:

Source: ASP.NET 1.1.4322.0
Category: None
Event: 1000

aspnet_wp.exe (PID: 2248) stopped unexpectedly.

bruce barker

your code crashed the aspnet worker process. common causes:

using com objects
calling unmanged code
stack overflows

add more error event logging in your code

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

"John A Grandy" <johnagrandy-at-yahoo-dot-com> wrote in message
| Has anyone unexpectedly encountered the following error for an ASP.NET
| application that was working fine?

-------------------
| web page displays error:
|
| Server Application Unavailable
| The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is
| currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web
browser
| to retry your request.
|
| Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific
| request failure can be found in the application event log of the web
server.
| Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

-------------------

| 1st Event Viewer error:
|
| Source: .NET Runtime
| Category: None
| Event: 0
|

| The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( .NET Runtime ) cannot be
| found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information
or
| message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The
following
| information is part of the event: .NET Runtime version 1.1.4322.2032-
| aspnet_wp.exe - Common Language Runtime Debugging Services: Application
has
| generated an exception that could not be handled.
|
| Process id=0x8c8 (2248), Thread id=0x8e8 (2280).
|
| Click OK to terminate the application.
| Click CANCEL to debug the application..

-------------------

| 2nd Event Viewer error:
|
| Source: ASP.NET 1.1.4322.0
| Category: None
| Event: 1000
|

| aspnet_wp.exe (PID: 2248) stopped unexpectedly.

John A Grandy

Hi Bruce, and thanks for the response

It's undoubtedly a stack overflow error, since that's the specific error
message the Microsoft CLR Debugger comes up with ...

problem is I can't find it ...

what are some good techniques to find stack overflows coding errors ?