aspnet_wp.exe stopped unexpectedly and Server Application Unavailable

Paul Wasowicz

Configuration:
Windows 2000 Server SP4
..Net Framework 1.1 SP1
Microsoft Site Server 3.0

Problem:
the following error messages start showing up in the EVENT LOG on the
server every once in a while until server becomes un-usable and has to
be rebooted; users see in the browser Server Application Unavailable
message; this seems to happen more less every two weeks

error 1
aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
800705AA. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure
that the .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the
installation directory allow access to the configured account.

error 2
aspnet_wp.exe (PID: 4856) stopped unexpectedly.

We have tried a bunch of things: re-install .Net Framework, run
aspnet_regiis.exe, created a new user and configured it to be the
worker process user in machine.config (granting that user all
necessarry permissions per MSFT KB article)

We have not tried elevating the permission in machine.config to SYSTEM
in the processModel section (will that even help? I know this is a
security risk). We did not try re-installing IIS.

We are also trying the IIS Diagnostics Toolkit to grab the dump when
IIS crashes. We have not been able to get any data yet.

Does anyone have any clues? Our current BAND-AID fix is to reboot the
servers weekly.

Thanks,
Paul.

Jim Cheshire

[...]

You can use DebugDiag and set a kernel32!ExitProcess breakpoint or you
can use adplus and get a crash dump. Stopped Unexpectedly is a crash
unless it's caused by someone explicitly killing the process.

Of course, getting a dump is just the first step. You then need
someone to look at it for you. I'd recommend that you open a case with
Microsoft.

Jim