aspnet_wp process starts with which users previlage ?

sarah5e

I need to give write permission to a XML file in an ASP.NET
application (Platform: Microsoft Windows Server 2003 - Visual Studio
2003 - .NET Framework 1.1), but I can't exactly find out the aspnet_wp
process starts with which users previlage.

Ashish M Bhonkiya

Hi sarah5e,
application (Platform: Microsoft Windows Server 2003 - Visual Studio
2003 - .NET Framework 1.1), but I can't exactly find out the aspnet_wp
process starts with which users previlage.

aspnet_wp.exe if viewed in the Windows Task Manager, the identity of this
process is set in the Machine.Config file found in the "CONFIG" subfolder of
your .NET Framework install directory
(c:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\{Version Number}\CONFIG on Windows 2000
installations). The default account for the ASP.Net worker process is a
local account "ASPNET". This may vary for some users as this does not hold
true for all OS configurations or versions of the .Net Framework. This
account is most similar to the IWAM_MachineName account used by IIS. This
account will have very less previlages to the system resources.
I need to give write permission to a XML file in an ASP.NET
you may please take a look on "Authentication in ASP.NET: .NET Security
Guidance"
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/authaspdotnet.asp

Regards
Ashish M Bhonkiya

Ken Schaefer

On Windows 2003/IIS 6.0 you should not see an aspnet_wp.exe process. ASP.NET
runs inside a w3wp.exe process, which has the process identity assigned to
the Web Application Pool that is being served by the w3wp.exe process. You
can check this identity in IIS Manager

The only time you would see an aspnet_wp.exe process is if you are running
IIS6.0 in IIS 5.0 Isolation Mode (which is a compatability mode that mimics
the way IIS 5.0 runs - it is not the default mode however).

Cheers
Ken