    2003 - .NET Framework 1.1), but I can't exactly find out the aspnet_wp
    process starts with which users previlage.

    , May 9, 2004

  2. Hi sarah5e,

    > application (Platform: Microsoft Windows Server 2003 - Visual Studio
    > 2003 - .NET Framework 1.1), but I can't exactly find out the aspnet_wp
    > process starts with which users previlage.

    aspnet_wp.exe if viewed in the Windows Task Manager, the identity of this
    process is set in the Machine.Config file found in the "CONFIG" subfolder of
    your .NET Framework install directory
    (c:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\{Version Number}\CONFIG on Windows 2000
    installations). The default account for the ASP.Net worker process is a
    local account "ASPNET". This may vary for some users as this does not hold
    true for all OS configurations or versions of the .Net Framework. This
    account is most similar to the IWAM_MachineName account used by IIS. This
    account will have very less previlages to the system resources.

    > I need to give write permission to a XML file in an ASP.NET

    you may please take a look on "Authentication in ASP.NET: .NET Security
    Guidance"
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/authaspdotnet.asp

    Regards
    Ashish M Bhonkiya

    Ashish M Bhonkiya, May 9, 2004

  3. Ken Schaefer Guest

    On Windows 2003/IIS 6.0 you should not see an aspnet_wp.exe process. ASP.NET
    runs inside a w3wp.exe process, which has the process identity assigned to
    the Web Application Pool that is being served by the w3wp.exe process. You
    can check this identity in IIS Manager

    The only time you would see an aspnet_wp.exe process is if you are running
    IIS6.0 in IIS 5.0 Isolation Mode (which is a compatability mode that mimics
    the way IIS 5.0 runs - it is not the default mode however).

    Cheers
    Ken

    Ken Schaefer, May 9, 2004