aspnet_wp unable to make remote connection in .net framework 2.0

StealthEX

Hi,
I have a .net 2.0 web service that acts as a messaging hub that takes a SOAP
request from a single source and then sparks of a bunch of requests to
multiple web services. This worked fine in .net 1.1 but now we've
re-engineered it and written it using .net 2.0 and now it doesn't work. We
have nailed the problem and it seems to lie in the fact that the when
aspnet_wp makes a request to an external host, it tries to go via a
non-existent proxy server. How can I force it to bypass any proxy and connect
directly? The internet settings are all correct - is there something in
ASP.NET 2.0 that adds extra restrictions to the ASPNET user (as I said, it
works fine in 1.1).

StealthEX

Don't ask me specifics, but there are changes in system.net in .net 2.0 from
1.1 so this is why you are experiencing a difference. It looks like your web
service is trying to use the default proxy and in .net 2.0 it digs through
your registry and its obviously picking up this proxy that you say doesn't
actually exist.
To force it to use a direct connection add the following into your
web.config and it will prevent any unecessary proxy detection.

<system.net>
<defaultProxy>
<proxy usesystemdefault="False"/>
</defaultProxy>