aspnet_wp uses up 98~99% of CPU power

inho yi

Hi

I'm running a webservice that acts as a server for
instance messanger. The problem I encounter is that when I
run the server for several days, suddenly aspnet_wp.exe
process uses up 98~99% of all CPU power.

I'm using one thread (created through new ThreadStart()
etc) to listen to all the incoming TCP connections, and I
suspect that this thread causes the problem. Any known
problem on thread safety of accepting incoming TCP
connections in one of the thread of aspnet_wp ?

Dino Chiesa [Microsoft]

If I were building this, I would build a "Service" (= Windows Service) to
handle the incoming TCP connections.
If you also want a web service, maybe for some admin operations, I would
make that a separate ASMX.
Then if they need to communicate, use .NET remoting between them.

I would not listen for incoming connections in a thread started by a web
service.

-D