aspNetEmail with Asp.net

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by yew chong, Mar 21, 2005.

  1. yew chong

    yew chong Guest

    Hi,

    Not sure if this is the right place to post this. Anyway, currently am
    using MCMS (Microsoft Content Management Server) and Asp.Net to program
    my application. My program needs to send emails, and I am using
    aspNetEmail as the third party software to help me handle the sending
    of emails.

    Now, the weird thing is this. My users will attach their emails with
    attachments, either from the resource gallery or from their own local
    machine. Everything is working fine, and I am able to send out emails
    together with the attachment as well. Funny thing is when users open up
    the email with outlook and close it, they are prompted with "Do you
    want to save changes?" message, when they have not even open up any
    attachments for editing.

    Selecting "no", they will exit like normal, and the prompt comes back
    the next time they try to open and close the mail message again.

    Whereas when they select "yes", seems like email message is saved in
    local machine. Also, the paperclip icon in Outlook preview is missing
    after they click on yes. Also, they will not get the prompt the next
    time. Anyone happen to face this problem before? Ultimately, I do not
    want the users to get the prompt. Please advice. Thanks!

    Regards
    Yew Chong

    yew chong, Mar 21, 2005

  2. Try emailing Dave from Advanced Intellect who make the software. He's been
    very helpful with me.

    Chris Kennedy, Mar 21, 2005

  3. The prompt for saving changes in Outlook has nothing to do with attachments
    and refers to the actual email itself, not any attached resources. Do you
    have any external links in the email? Things such as graphics or
    stylesheets? If so, then when the user tells Outlook to view these external
    items they will be prompted to save changes when they close the email. Once
    they click yes they will never get this prompt again as Outlook has saved
    the preferences for this document and the images. I don't think this
    actually has anything to do with you as it is how itself behaves.

    Hope this helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick
    Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

    Mark Fitzpatrick, Mar 21, 2005
  4. yew chong

    yew chong Guest

    Yes, have emailed him already. Thanks! :)

    yew chong, Mar 23, 2005
  5. yew chong

    Brock Allen Guest

    Not to disuade you from using aspNetEmail, but you are aware that there are
    classes in System.Net.Mail that do SMTP?

    -Brock
    DevelopMentor
    http://staff.develop.com/ballen

    Brock Allen, Mar 23, 2005
  6. yew chong

    yew chong Guest

    Hi Mark,

    I think you have pointed out a valid point there. Actually I have
    another question in mind. When I attach a local attachment to an email,
    how do I do the referencing? For example I have a hyperlink that refers
    to an attachment, do I do the referencing as below?

    and then attach somefile.xls to the email?

    Regards
    Yew Chong

    yew chong, Mar 24, 2005