ASPs and NTFS permissions

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by BJS, Jan 15, 2005.

  1. BJS

    BJS Guest

    Hi there.

    I have been successfully running ASP on a W2K IIS5.0 server using Anon
    Access enabled, but would like to be able to restrict access to a particular
    folder containing some ASP content to a particular NTFS user group that I
    have set
    up.

    I have added this group to the particular folder (giving Full Control) and
    switched off anon access and added Intergrated Windows authentication in IIS
    Admin. The problem is that although users can access static content in this
    folder, any attempt to run an ASP fails with a logon box appearing and
    "Error: access denied" apearing in the page.

    Is the problem that this user group does not have permissions on the system
    files used to execute the ASPs? Everything works fine under my admin
    account or if I make it all Anonymous access.

    Thanks for any assistance,
    Brian J

    BJS, Jan 15, 2005

  2. BJS

    Jim Morrison Guest

    "BJS" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there.
    >
    > I have been successfully running ASP on a W2K IIS5.0 server using Anon
    > Access enabled, but would like to be able to restrict access to a
    > particular
    > folder containing some ASP content to a particular NTFS user group that I
    > have set
    > up.
    >
    > I have added this group to the particular folder (giving Full Control) and
    > switched off anon access and added Intergrated Windows authentication in
    > IIS
    > Admin. The problem is that although users can access static content in
    > this
    > folder, any attempt to run an ASP fails with a logon box appearing and
    > "Error: access denied" apearing in the page.
    >
    > Is the problem that this user group does not have permissions on the
    > system
    > files used to execute the ASPs? Everything works fine under my admin
    > account or if I make it all Anonymous access.
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance,
    > Brian J

    We also run an IIS 5.0 server with integrated windows auth and anon turned
    off. A few specific folders within wwwroot have specific permissions applied
    to the domain security group level. I have not had any problems running ASP
    pages. You may want to go back over your permissions within IIS and also
    check the individual ASP files themselves and make sure they are properly
    inheriting the permissions from the folder.

    Jim

    Jim Morrison, Jan 16, 2005