ASPState

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Janos Horanszky, Feb 20, 2005.

  1. Hi Gurus!

    Error: Unable to connect to SQL Server.

    I am having difficulties identifying a problem regarding the ASPState
    database that is bieng used by 2 applications (cms based). (two node
    SQL2KESP3a cluster on Win2003E)
    There is a 30 minute timeout specified for the session_ids and we are having
    ~18000 rows in the tables.
    We have captured with profiler that an update (within an sp) gets called
    ~1400 times in a minute for the SAME session_id! Locks, after locks,
    deadlocks, and it causes timeouts on the app server and error page to the
    user.
    Checking the IIS logs we didn't see anything unusual.
    The table has a clustered index, that is fine, it is heavier for updates but
    still shouldn't present this type of problem. Though the table (and the
    index) is very fragmented. 9000 pages for 18000 rows! Tons of extent
    switches. How could I prevent this?

    Microsoft articles don't seem to help.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/technologyinfo/infrastructure/tuning/default.aspx

    Anybody has encountered this problem? I assume this is a fairly common
    problem. It affects our business big time and I am not sure what can I do
    from SQL Server side. When the cluster fails over we loose all sessions. Why
    SQL Server can not hand out more connections? Both applications are
    configured to use a pool of connections but we have more than the sum of the
    two from the same apps.

    I'd appreciate any suggestion that would alleviate this issue.
    Janos

    Janos Horanszky, Feb 20, 2005

  2. Hi Janos
    Did u give the permisssion to asp to execute sqlserver??

    =?Utf-8?B?c2FyYQ==?=, Feb 20, 2005

  3. Hi Sara, it is not a permission problem.
    On the other hand sqlserver has it words too. :)

    Janos Horanszky, Feb 21, 2005