ASPX --allowing HTML Designers to modify... ???

SStory

Doing pages for contract.....

If I make an ASPX file that does certain things, how simple would it be for
a person who know nothing about it to modify the user interface without
bothering the ASPX interaction? How would I best build such pages. Many
people of course don't want a page that they can't modify at all without
programmer intervention. I think ASPX does this.

Just curious to hear some comments on the subject from more experienced
ASP.NET developers.

Thanks,

Shane

John Timney \(Microsoft MVP\)

If you use Code Behind then the code is not held with the layout. As long
as the objects remain in the aspx page then you should have few issues.
That said, if you have used asp controls extensively, in particular custom
user controls then your html guy will likely require an understanding on the
page interactions between controls and code behind. If all you are looking
to do is modify layout then it should be controllable.

--
Regards

John Timney (Microsoft ASP.NET MVP)
<shameless_author_plug>
ISBN:1-861007-91-4
Professional Windows Forms
ISBN: 1861005547
Professional JSP 2nd Edition
ISBN: 1861004958
Professional JSP
ISBN: 1861003625
Beginning JSP Web Development
ISBN: 1861002092
</shameless_author_plug>

SStory

Thanks.

So I could make a page that does searches or whatever in ASP.NET using code
behind. It would have text box, button and grid control, and the HTML
people could easily move those things around, change page layout somewhat
and things should work.

I was thinking as much.

Just curious to hear from people who'd done something like this. Say you
bid on a small contract that is to write some ASP code that the person wants
to use in their HTML pages as they want to..... Could I do it in ASPX and
they have the flexibility they want?

Have you or anyone else done this sort of thing and was your experience
positive or was it a pain?

Thanks,

Shane

John Timney \(Microsoft MVP\)

Part of the design remit for ASP.NET was to seperate presentation from the
logic that works the page - the result is code behind and its a very well
supported model for putting sites together and allowing designers to do the
page layout, and coders to make it tick.

Its not for inexperienced HTML hackers which sadly is what most companies
seem to have. You need an understaning of how page presentation and logic
interlink which is why you would need to work closely with the people you
had changing the presentation. Its a perfectly feasible model and works
well in a well structured and disciplined team.

Incidentally, Web matrix is a free editing tool for asp.net available from
www.asp.net and fully supported by the Microsoft ASP.NET team and can be
very beneficial in taching people the difference betwenn HTML tags, and
ASP.NET controls.

--
Regards

John Timney (Microsoft ASP.NET MVP)
<shameless_author_plug>
ISBN:1-861007-91-4
Professional Windows Forms
ISBN: 1861005547
Professional JSP 2nd Edition
ISBN: 1861004958
Professional JSP
ISBN: 1861003625
Beginning JSP Web Development
ISBN: 1861002092
</shameless_author_plug>

SStory

Thanks.

I have written quite a bit in ASP.NET using VB code behinds. But in terms
of thinking of bidding on a small project where they wanted "asp code" taht
they could wire to HTML as they like. I was just curious as to whether I
should attempt it with ASP.NET. Thanks for all of the info. I will have to
check out webmatrix. Sounds like it is mainly for the UI design part.

Thanks,