aspx equivalent for determining client browser addins available for object tag

David Greene

I have an aspx fired xslt web site...
http://www.dlgreene.removethis.com/

You can see the exact code I am asking about if you View In: xxx and click
the code link at the top or bottom left of any page.

I use a number of vr viewers...
http://www.devalvr.removethis.com/
QuickTime
Flash
Puretools

Puretools is a java applet and I can easily ask
System.Web.UI.MasterPage.Request.Browser.JavaApplets so Java is done or at
least I know how to get it done.

There are several JavaScript scripts out there that run at the client for
determining if Flash or QuickTime is installed.

My problem is that DevalVR uses the same .mov file extension as QuickTime.
Everything is fine if the client browser is IE because the object tag for IE
has a classid that "forces" IE to use DevalVR. But, if the browser is not IE
the .mov extension takes over even though I have the type attribute set on
the object tag.

My question is there a "clean" way to query a property or method at the aspx
level and not at the client? Can I find out if DevalVR is available in the
client browser from aspx? I'm assuming that if there is an answer for
DevalVR it will also work for other addins.

bruce barker

there is no aspx. its all client code. each generally publishes how to
test if installed.

also Browser.JavaApplets (or any other test) is not reliable. it just
looks at the agent string and reports if the feature is possible (not if
enabled).

google for client sniffers for 3rd party control that does this.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

David Greene

Thanks-

I had a feeling that was the answer I was going to get but, I was hoping
there was a better way.