aspx httphandler messing up my gridview paging postback target

Matt Winward

Hi all.

I've got a little problem with my gridview paging and I'm not sure how
to resolve it.

Basically, I'm handling all aspx requests with my own httphandler.
This does a url rewrite, so the url you see is not the page that is
actually returned. To add to the complexity, I have a module which
does a similar url rewrite at a higher level.

So, this url

==> domain.com/CustomerName/Default.aspx

is handled by the module, which uses Server.TransferRequest to load

==> domain.com/WebApplication/CustomerName/Default.aspx

and, in turn, a handler within the web app actually loads something
like this...

==> domain.com/WebApplication/Default.aspx?customer=x

The problem is that I have a paging gridview control in an updatepanel
in Default.aspx and it's doing a postback to /Default.aspx (ie at the
site root), which doesn't exist, so it throws a 404 and this manifests
itself as the following javascript error:

Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerServerErrorException: An unknown error
occurred while processing the request on the server. The status code
returned from the server was: 404.

I need it to postback to either of the three url formats above. Any of
them should work fine. Just getting rid of the / at the beginning of
the target should fix it... but I can't find a way to change its
target.

Is there a way to do this? Custom paging perhaps?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt Winward

In case anyone is interested, I couldn't find a way to solve the
paging postback issue, so I've ended up writing my own webcontrol that
using postbacks to load the data from a web service.