ASPX page causing IE to crash

Brad

I have an aspx web page which initially displays fine. When I postback the
resulting response back to the client output is causing InternetExplorer 6
to crash. I've disabled the server side code for the submit button so what
is be going back to the client is just a recyling of the content. I used a
responsefilter to capture the initial content and the content which caused
IE to crash: Comparing the two files using a file compare product, the
only difference between the contents is the viewstate line. And get this,
the same page works fine in Netscape 7.1.

The error I receive is:
"The instruction at "0x77bd42f8" referenced memory
"0x0960f92c". The memory could not be "read".
After this error IE crashes. The memory locaitons noted vary each time
the message appears (and I've generated hundreds of these while tracing down
this problem).

If I remove various combinations web controls, style sheets I can eventually
get the page to not crash and there seems to be no set pattern to what needs
to be removed. It just seems if I get the page small enough if finally
works, and it's not that big a page to begin with.

IE 6 on windows2003 server
ASP.NET 1.1
Using VS2003

I may have to open an microsoft incident but thought I'd check here first to
see if anyone has input to offer.

Brad

Matt Berther

Hello Brad,

I've come across similar issues and what I ended up having to do was disable smart navigation...

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Brad,

I think Matt's suggestion on the "SmartNavigation" property setting is
reasonable. I've also searched some former threads discussing on the
similiar problem and many of them were caused by the smartNavigation.
Infact ,the problem is caused by the mshtml component at the clientside(a
known issue of IE), so most of such issues an endup with turn off smartNav.
Would you please have a check to see whether this is the cause? Also, you
can have a look at some former threads in the newsgroup via google. Other
wise, I also agree that some more detailed troubleshooting such as dump
analisis is necessary. Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support