ASPX page causing IE to crash

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Brad, May 18, 2004.

  1. Brad

    Brad Guest

    I have an aspx web page which initially displays fine. When I postback the
    resulting response back to the client output is causing InternetExplorer 6
    to crash. I've disabled the server side code for the submit button so what
    is be going back to the client is just a recyling of the content. I used a
    responsefilter to capture the initial content and the content which caused
    IE to crash: Comparing the two files using a file compare product, the
    only difference between the contents is the viewstate line. And get this,
    the same page works fine in Netscape 7.1.

    The error I receive is:
    "The instruction at "0x77bd42f8" referenced memory
    "0x0960f92c". The memory could not be "read".
    After this error IE crashes. The memory locaitons noted vary each time
    the message appears (and I've generated hundreds of these while tracing down
    this problem).

    If I remove various combinations web controls, style sheets I can eventually
    get the page to not crash and there seems to be no set pattern to what needs
    to be removed. It just seems if I get the page small enough if finally
    works, and it's not that big a page to begin with.

    IE 6 on windows2003 server
    ASP.NET 1.1
    Using VS2003

    I may have to open an microsoft incident but thought I'd check here first to
    see if anyone has input to offer.

    Brad

    Brad, May 18, 2004

  2. Brad

    Matt Berther Guest

    Hello Brad,

    I've come across similar issues and what I ended up having to do was disable smart navigation...

    > I have an aspx web page which initially displays fine. When I
    > postback the resulting response back to the client output is causing
    > InternetExplorer 6 to crash. I've disabled the server side code for
    > the submit button so what is be going back to the client is just a
    > recyling of the content. I used a responsefilter to capture the
    > initial content and the content which caused IE to crash: Comparing
    > the two files using a file compare product, the only difference
    > between the contents is the viewstate line. And get this, the same
    > page works fine in Netscape 7.1.
    >
    > The error I receive is:
    > "The instruction at "0x77bd42f8" referenced memory
    > "0x0960f92c". The memory could not be "read".
    > After this error IE crashes. The memory locaitons noted vary each
    > time
    > the message appears (and I've generated hundreds of these while
    > tracing down
    > this problem).
    >
    > If I remove various combinations web controls, style sheets I can
    > eventually get the page to not crash and there seems to be no set
    > pattern to what needs to be removed. It just seems if I get the page
    > small enough if finally works, and it's not that big a page to begin
    > with.
    >
    > IE 6 on windows2003 server
    > ASP.NET 1.1
    > Using VS2003
    > I may have to open an microsoft incident but thought I'd check here
    > first to see if anyone has input to offer.
    >
    > Brad

    Matt Berther
    http://www.mattberther.com

    Matt Berther, May 18, 2004

  3. Hi Brad,

    I think Matt's suggestion on the "SmartNavigation" property setting is
    reasonable. I've also searched some former threads discussing on the
    similiar problem and many of them were caused by the smartNavigation.
    Infact ,the problem is caused by the mshtml component at the clientside(a
    known issue of IE), so most of such issues an endup with turn off smartNav.
    Would you please have a check to see whether this is the cause? Also, you
    can have a look at some former threads in the newsgroup via google. Other
    wise, I also agree that some more detailed troubleshooting such as dump
    analisis is necessary. Thanks.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], May 18, 2004
  4. Brad

    Brad Guest

    Turning off SmartNavigation resolved the problem. Thank you to you and
    Matt.

    Brad

    Brad, May 18, 2004