ASPX processing time..

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Allen Smith, Dec 7, 2004.

  1. Allen Smith

    Allen Smith Guest

    I have deployed the web application for production. Sometimes the some of
    the screens are taking too much time to process. Status bar will appear (IE
    blue bar.) and will stay for ever. End users are calling me and asking why
    it is happening?

    My development environments are ASP.Net, Vb.Net , Java Script, IE5+ and IIS
    5.+.

    How to troubleshoot these kinds of scenarios? Currently I am killing the
    application and starting a new session and just it works fine.

    If I add some tracing points at ASPX page will help?

    Is there any debugging that I can switch on in IIS?

    Is there any Windows 2K server performance monitor will help in this?

    Please advice.

    Allen

    Allen Smith, Dec 7, 2004

  2. The first request of any ASP.NET web page will take a while to load, simply
    because it has to parse and compile your ASPX page.

    Are you having these problems all the time, or only on the first request for
    each page?

    Thanks,
    Johann MacDonagh

    Johann MacDonagh, Dec 7, 2004

  3. Allen Smith

    Jeff Evans Guest

    Allen Smith < > wrote:
    > I have deployed the web application for production. Sometimes the some of
    > the screens are taking too much time to process. Status bar will appear
    > (IE blue bar.) and will stay for ever. End users are calling me and
    > asking why it is happening?
    > My development environments are ASP.Net, Vb.Net , Java Script, IE5+ and
    > IIS 5.+.
    > How to troubleshoot these kinds of scenarios? Currently I am killing the
    > application and starting a new session and just it works fine.
    > If I add some tracing points at ASPX page will help?
    > Is there any debugging that I can switch on in IIS?
    > Is there any Windows 2K server performance monitor will help in this?

    As Johann said, the first request takes longer (server is compiling). Also,
    a common misstep is to deploy a debug build into production (builds in debug
    config are slower). Make sure that isn't the case.

    Beyond that, you'd be advised to use a profiler to find slow spots in your
    code.

    Jeff Evans, Dec 7, 2004
  4. Allen Smith

    Allen Smith Guest

    Johnson,
    Thanks for the advice.
    Very good point as I was putting debug build in production.
    Can you please tell me which profiler you are referring to.... ?
    I searched for "profiler" in MSDN website and I am getting a bunch of
    results.
    Thanks,
    Allen

    Allen Smith, Dec 7, 2004
  5. Allen Smith

    Allen Smith Guest

    1. I am aware about the first time compilation.
    2. Some times it happens. Not all the time it happens.
    Thanks for your response.
    Allen

    Allen Smith, Dec 7, 2004