assembly problems when copying a project to another server (rp)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by TB, Oct 27, 2005.

  1. TB

    TB Guest

    Hi All:

    This news group is proving to be great help on my path towards
    mastering ASP.NET thanks to all of you helpful souls out there. I am
    looking forward to the day when I can contribute with a few ounces of
    hard-won knowledge as well.

    Meanwhile I have this (hopefully small) problem.

    On my local computer where I am developing a web application, I have
    installed the MySQL Connector/.NET version 1.0.6 which works perfectly
    with VS.NET. I use it to access a MySQL database which is located on a
    remote server where the finished web application eventually will be
    deployed. On my local computer everything works fine: connections,
    command objects, datareaders, etc. However, when I copy the project to
    the web server, everything related to the connector fails.

    Excepts of the failure messages:

    File or assembly name MySql.Data, or one of its dependencies, was not
    found.
    Exception Details: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: File or assembly
    name MySql.Data, or one of its dependencies, was not found.
    LOG: Publisher policy file is not found.
    LOG: No redirect found in host configuration file
    (C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet.config).
    LOG: Using machine configuration file from
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\config\machine.config.
    LOG: Post-policy reference: MySql.Data, Version=1.0.6.15336,
    Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c5687fc88969c44d
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
    Files/qms/025a0e72/2c822358/MySql.Data.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
    Files/qms/025a0e72/2c822358/MySql.Data/MySql.Data.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/Webspace/hostings/myweb2/myweb.com/www/qms/bin/MySql.Data.DLL.

    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/Webspace/hostings/myweb2/myweb.com/www/qms/bin/MySql.Data/MySql.­Data.DLL.

    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
    Files/qms/025a0e72/2c822358/MySql.Data.EXE.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
    Files/qms/025a0e72/2c822358/MySql.Data/MySql.Data.EXE.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/Webspace/hostings/myweb2/myweb.com/www/qms/bin/MySql.Data.EXE.

    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/Webspace/hostings/myweb2/myweb.com/www/qms/bin/MySql.Data/MySql.­Data.EXE.

    The web hosting provider have told me that the reason for this error is

    that another version of the MySQL Connector/.NET is installed on the
    web server, namely version 1.0.4.20163. I was told to add the following

    to my web.config file:

    <compilation defaultLanguage="vb" debug="true">
    <assemblies>
    <add assembly="MySql.Data, Version=1.0.4.20163, Culture=neutral,
    PublicKeyToken=c5687fc88969c44d" />
    </assemblies>
    </compilation>

    I have done that but the error persists, i.e. the error messages still
    refer to a version 1.0.6 of the MySQL connector. Is there somewhere
    else (code, assemblies) where VS.NET stores the version number of the
    connector installed on my local machine? Do I really have to have the
    same connector versions installed on both machines to ensure that the
    builds can be correctly executed both locally and on the web server? Do

    I really have to have two versions of web.config (one local and one for

    the web server)?

    Then I discovered another matter which I don't know whether is
    unrelated to the afore-mentioned issue:

    At least for one file (I have not tried with more), the above problem
    does NOT occur and is NOT dependent of web.config entries if I write
    rewrite it an aspx file that does not depend on a code-behind file, i.e

    all the logic is stored in a <script></script> section in the beginning

    of the aspx.

    Any suggestions will be higly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance

    TB

    TB, Oct 27, 2005

  2. Hi,

    The error you get is simply saying that you are missing one of the dlls that
    your project should have had in the bin folder. How do you deploy your
    application to your provider's server? (Using the "Copy Project" icon from
    Solution Explorer in VS.Net should have taken care of all of your assemblies)
    If you are copying them using ftp copy by yourself, check for the compiled
    assemblies in the folder named bin under your application's folder against
    the ones in the bin folder on the target server. Are they the same?

    --
    HTH,
    Phillip Williams

    =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbGxpcCBXaWxsaWFtcw==?=, Oct 27, 2005

  3. TB

    TB Guest

    In my local \bin folder there are only two files:

    myproject.dll
    myproject.pdb

    The corresponding /bin directory on my web server has the same content.
    Shouldn't there be more content in those directories?

    Locally everything works fine; it's on the web server that anything

    TB, Oct 27, 2005
  4. Re: assembly problems when copying a project to another server (rp

    Hi Trym,

    VS.Net exposes an attribute named "Copy Local" for references to assemblies
    used within the project
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...on/html/vxlrfvslangprojreferencecopylocal.asp

    When you mark MySql.Data from references as CopyLocal you would be able to
    see it in the bin folder. Otherwise, during deployment the dll would not be
    copied to the target server
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...on/html/vxlrfvslangprojreferencecopylocal.asp

    There is also a similar thread on forums.mysql.com that is similar to this
    problem: http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?38,32144,32144#msg-32144

    If you are going to use mySql you might bookmark a link to that forum.
    --
    HTH,
    Phillip Williams

    =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbGxpcCBXaWxsaWFtcw==?=, Oct 28, 2005
  5. TB

    TB Guest

    Re: assembly problems when copying a project to another server (rp

    Hey, it worked! Thanks a bundle. You are quickly becoming my public
    hero number one, answering all my (probably rather stupid) questions in
    this news group.

    If you ever get to Spain (where I live), I'll invite you for a beer.

    TB

    TB, Oct 29, 2005
  6. Re: assembly problems when copying a project to another server (rp

    "TB" <> wrote in message
    > Hey, it worked! Thanks a bundle. You are quickly becoming my public
    > hero number one, answering all my (probably rather stupid) questions in
    > this news group.
    >
    > If you ever get to Spain (where I live), I'll invite you for a beer.
    >
    > TB

    For a Spanish beer, I will gladly take the invitation. :)

    Glad I have helped.

    Kindest Regards,
    Phillip Williams
    http://www.societopia.net