assembly problems when copying a project to another server (rp)

TB

Hi All:

This news group is proving to be great help on my path towards
mastering ASP.NET thanks to all of you helpful souls out there. I am
looking forward to the day when I can contribute with a few ounces of
hard-won knowledge as well.

Meanwhile I have this (hopefully small) problem.

On my local computer where I am developing a web application, I have
installed the MySQL Connector/.NET version 1.0.6 which works perfectly
with VS.NET. I use it to access a MySQL database which is located on a
remote server where the finished web application eventually will be
deployed. On my local computer everything works fine: connections,
command objects, datareaders, etc. However, when I copy the project to
the web server, everything related to the connector fails.

Excepts of the failure messages:

File or assembly name MySql.Data, or one of its dependencies, was not
found.
Exception Details: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: File or assembly
name MySql.Data, or one of its dependencies, was not found.
LOG: Publisher policy file is not found.
LOG: No redirect found in host configuration file
(C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet.config).
LOG: Using machine configuration file from
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\config\machine.config.
LOG: Post-policy reference: MySql.Data, Version=1.0.6.15336,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c5687fc88969c44d
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
Files/qms/025a0e72/2c822358/MySql.Data.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
Files/qms/025a0e72/2c822358/MySql.Data/MySql.Data.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/Webspace/hostings/myweb2/myweb.com/www/qms/bin/MySql.Data.DLL.

LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/Webspace/hostings/myweb2/myweb.com/www/qms/bin/MySql.Data/MySql.­Data.DLL.

LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
Files/qms/025a0e72/2c822358/MySql.Data.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
Files/qms/025a0e72/2c822358/MySql.Data/MySql.Data.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/Webspace/hostings/myweb2/myweb.com/www/qms/bin/MySql.Data.EXE.

LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/Webspace/hostings/myweb2/myweb.com/www/qms/bin/MySql.Data/MySql.­Data.EXE.

The web hosting provider have told me that the reason for this error is

that another version of the MySQL Connector/.NET is installed on the
web server, namely version 1.0.4.20163. I was told to add the following

to my web.config file:

<compilation defaultLanguage="vb" debug="true">
<assemblies>
<add assembly="MySql.Data, Version=1.0.4.20163, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=c5687fc88969c44d" />
</assemblies>
</compilation>

I have done that but the error persists, i.e. the error messages still
refer to a version 1.0.6 of the MySQL connector. Is there somewhere
else (code, assemblies) where VS.NET stores the version number of the
connector installed on my local machine? Do I really have to have the
same connector versions installed on both machines to ensure that the
builds can be correctly executed both locally and on the web server? Do

I really have to have two versions of web.config (one local and one for

the web server)?

Then I discovered another matter which I don't know whether is
unrelated to the afore-mentioned issue:

At least for one file (I have not tried with more), the above problem
does NOT occur and is NOT dependent of web.config entries if I write
rewrite it an aspx file that does not depend on a code-behind file, i.e

all the logic is stored in a <script></script> section in the beginning

of the aspx.

Any suggestions will be higly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

TB

Guest

Hi,

The error you get is simply saying that you are missing one of the dlls that
your project should have had in the bin folder. How do you deploy your
application to your provider's server? (Using the "Copy Project" icon from
Solution Explorer in VS.Net should have taken care of all of your assemblies)
If you are copying them using ftp copy by yourself, check for the compiled
assemblies in the folder named bin under your application's folder against
the ones in the bin folder on the target server. Are they the same?

TB

In my local \bin folder there are only two files:

myproject.dll
myproject.pdb

The corresponding /bin directory on my web server has the same content.
Shouldn't there be more content in those directories?

Locally everything works fine; it's on the web server that anything
related to the connector fails.

TB

Guest

Hi Trym,

VS.Net exposes an attribute named "Copy Local" for references to assemblies
used within the project
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...on/html/vxlrfvslangprojreferencecopylocal.asp

When you mark MySql.Data from references as CopyLocal you would be able to
see it in the bin folder. Otherwise, during deployment the dll would not be
copied to the target server
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...on/html/vxlrfvslangprojreferencecopylocal.asp

There is also a similar thread on forums.mysql.com that is similar to this
problem: http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?38,32144,32144#msg-32144

If you are going to use mySql you might bookmark a link to that forum.

TB

Hey, it worked! Thanks a bundle. You are quickly becoming my public
hero number one, answering all my (probably rather stupid) questions in
this news group.

If you ever get to Spain (where I live), I'll invite you for a beer.

TB

Phillip Williams

TB said:
Hey, it worked! Thanks a bundle. You are quickly becoming my public
hero number one, answering all my (probably rather stupid) questions in
this news group.

If you ever get to Spain (where I live), I'll invite you for a beer.

TB

For a Spanish beer, I will gladly take the invitation. :)

Glad I have helped.

Kindest Regards,
Phillip Williams
http://www.societopia.net