assembly problems when copying a project to another server

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by TB, Oct 26, 2005.

  1. TB

    TB Guest

    Hi All:

    This news group is proving to be great help on my path towards
    mastering ASP.NET thanks to all of you helpful souls out there. I am
    looking forward to the day when I can contribute with a few ounces of
    hard-won knowledge as well.

    Meanwhile I have this (hopefully small) problem.

    On my local computer where I am developing a web application, I have
    installed the MySQL Connector/.NET version 1.0.6 which works perfectly
    with VS.NET. I use it to access a MySQL database which is located on a
    remote server where the finished web application eventually will be
    deployed. On my local computer everything works fine: connections,
    command objects, datareaders, etc. However, when I copy the project to
    the web server, everything related to the connector fails.

    Excepts of the failure messages:

    File or assembly name MySql.Data, or one of its dependencies, was not
    found.
    Exception Details: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: File or assembly
    name MySql.Data, or one of its dependencies, was not found.
    LOG: Publisher policy file is not found.
    LOG: No redirect found in host configuration file
    (C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet.config).
    LOG: Using machine configuration file from
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\config\machine.config.
    LOG: Post-policy reference: MySql.Data, Version=1.0.6.15336,
    Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c5687fc88969c44d
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
    Files/qms/025a0e72/2c822358/MySql.Data.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
    Files/qms/025a0e72/2c822358/MySql.Data/MySql.Data.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/Webspace/hostings/myweb2/myweb.com/www/qms/bin/MySql.Data.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/Webspace/hostings/myweb2/myweb.com/www/qms/bin/MySql.Data/MySql.Data.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
    Files/qms/025a0e72/2c822358/MySql.Data.EXE.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
    Files/qms/025a0e72/2c822358/MySql.Data/MySql.Data.EXE.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/Webspace/hostings/myweb2/myweb.com/www/qms/bin/MySql.Data.EXE.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/Webspace/hostings/myweb2/myweb.com/www/qms/bin/MySql.Data/MySql.Data.EXE.

    The web hosting provider have told me that the reason for this error is
    that another version of the MySQL Connector/.NET is installed on the
    web server, namely version 1.0.4.20163. I was told to add the following
    to my web.config file:

    <compilation defaultLanguage="vb" debug="true">
    <assemblies>
    <add assembly="MySql.Data, Version=1.0.4.20163, Culture=neutral,
    PublicKeyToken=c5687fc88969c44d" />
    </assemblies>
    </compilation>

    I have done that but the error persists, i.e. the error messages still
    refer to a version 1.0.6 of the MySQL connector. Is there somewhere
    else (code, assemblies) where VS.NET stores the version number of the
    connector installed on my local machine? Do I really have to have the
    same connector versions installed on both machines to ensure that the
    builds can be correctly executed both locally and on the web server? Do
    I really have to have two versions of web.config (one local and one for
    the web server)?

    Then I discovered another matter which I don't know whether is
    unrelated to the afore-mentioned issue:

    At least for one file (I have not tried with more), the above problem
    does NOT occur and is NOT dependent of web.config entries if I write
    rewrite it an aspx file that does not depend on a code-behind file, i.e
    all the logic is stored in a <script></script> section in the beginning
    of the aspx.

    Any suggestions will be higly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance

    TB
    TB, Oct 26, 2005