assembly problems when copying a project to another server

TB

Hi All:

This news group is proving to be great help on my path towards
mastering ASP.NET thanks to all of you helpful souls out there. I am
looking forward to the day when I can contribute with a few ounces of
hard-won knowledge as well.

Meanwhile I have this (hopefully small) problem.

On my local computer where I am developing a web application, I have
installed the MySQL Connector/.NET version 1.0.6 which works perfectly
with VS.NET. I use it to access a MySQL database which is located on a
remote server where the finished web application eventually will be
deployed. On my local computer everything works fine: connections,
command objects, datareaders, etc. However, when I copy the project to
the web server, everything related to the connector fails.

Excepts of the failure messages:

File or assembly name MySql.Data, or one of its dependencies, was not
found.
Exception Details: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: File or assembly
name MySql.Data, or one of its dependencies, was not found.
LOG: Publisher policy file is not found.
LOG: No redirect found in host configuration file
(C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet.config).
LOG: Using machine configuration file from
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\config\machine.config.
LOG: Post-policy reference: MySql.Data, Version=1.0.6.15336,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c5687fc88969c44d
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
Files/qms/025a0e72/2c822358/MySql.Data.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
Files/qms/025a0e72/2c822358/MySql.Data/MySql.Data.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/Webspace/hostings/myweb2/myweb.com/www/qms/bin/MySql.Data.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/Webspace/hostings/myweb2/myweb.com/www/qms/bin/MySql.Data/MySql.Data.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
Files/qms/025a0e72/2c822358/MySql.Data.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
Files/qms/025a0e72/2c822358/MySql.Data/MySql.Data.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/Webspace/hostings/myweb2/myweb.com/www/qms/bin/MySql.Data.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/Webspace/hostings/myweb2/myweb.com/www/qms/bin/MySql.Data/MySql.Data.EXE.

The web hosting provider have told me that the reason for this error is
that another version of the MySQL Connector/.NET is installed on the
web server, namely version 1.0.4.20163. I was told to add the following
to my web.config file:

<compilation defaultLanguage="vb" debug="true">
<assemblies>
<add assembly="MySql.Data, Version=1.0.4.20163, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=c5687fc88969c44d" />
</assemblies>
</compilation>

I have done that but the error persists, i.e. the error messages still
refer to a version 1.0.6 of the MySQL connector. Is there somewhere
else (code, assemblies) where VS.NET stores the version number of the
connector installed on my local machine? Do I really have to have the
same connector versions installed on both machines to ensure that the
builds can be correctly executed both locally and on the web server? Do
I really have to have two versions of web.config (one local and one for
the web server)?

Then I discovered another matter which I don't know whether is
unrelated to the afore-mentioned issue:

At least for one file (I have not tried with more), the above problem
does NOT occur and is NOT dependent of web.config entries if I write
rewrite it an aspx file that does not depend on a code-behind file, i.e
all the logic is stored in a <script></script> section in the beginning
of the aspx.

Any suggestions will be higly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

TB