assert{ 2.0 } - a new kind of assertion

Phlip

I have invented a new concept of developer test assertions. This post is a
preview of its features, before I release it for Ruby. Porting it to other
languages is left as an exercise for the reader.

assert{ 2.0 }

I don't like the simple assertions - assert_equal, assert_match,
assert_not_nil, etc, in my developer tests. They only exist for
one reason - to print out their values when they fail. And then
they don't even reflect their variable names, either.

So I wrote an assertion to replace them. Put whatever you want
into it; it prints out your expression, and all its values.
Essentially like this:

x = 43
assert{ x == 42 } --> x == 42
x --> 43

deny{ x == 43 } --> x == 43 should not pass
x --> 43

The classic versions require more typing, and reflect less information:

assert_equal(x, 42) --> <43> expected but was \n<42>
assert_not_equal(x, 43) --> <43> expected to be != to \n<43>

This is a new concept of an assertion, and it simplifies the hell
out of developer tests. Before:

def test_attributes
topics = create_topics
assert_equal 'a topic', topics['first']
assert_not_nil topics['second']
end

After:

def test_attributes
topics = create_topics
assert{ 'a topic' == topics['first'] }
assert{ topics['second'] }
end

If the first assert_equal failed, it would only print out the two values.

When assert{} fails, it prints its complete expression, with each
intermediate term and its value:

assert{ "a topic" == ( topics["first"] ) } --> false
topics --> {"first"=>"wrong topic"}
topics["first"] --> "wrong topic"

And if the assert_not_nil failed, it would only reward us with
the infamous diagnostic "<nil> expected to not be nil". We would
prefer to see the expression that failed, and its intermediate
values!

assert{ topics["second"] } --> nil - should not pass
topics --> {"first"=>"wrong topic"}
topics["second"] --> nil

I'm still working on the library supporting this assertion.
It uses 'rubynode' to read your block's raw nodes. We already use
the assertion in all our projects at work, where it tends to
simplify the excess code we must write in test cases.

Jim Kingdon

So I wrote an assertion to replace them. Put whatever you want
into it; it prints out your expression, and all its values.

Nice.

The one comment I have is that I generally write assertions with the
assumption that the programmer will read the failure in conjunction
with the code that failed (in many development environments, the code
is a single click away, at least for java, not as sure about ruby).
So that somewhat mitigates the need for this. But I could see this
feature if the development environment doesn't make it that easy, or
for some of the other features (I think the above-mentioned code will
be more helpful on something like assert { x == y }, printing both x
and y with names).

Phlip

Jim said:
(I think the above-mentioned code will
be more helpful on something like assert { x == y }, printing both x
and y with names).

It can reflect anything. This frees you up to write whatever expressive
statement you like between the {}, so long as it returns a meaningful polarity.
(Use deny{} if that polarity is false.)

Yes, some editors don't have good "Fault Navigation". The even better situation,
at fault time, is preventing the need to navigate. You read the fault diagnosis,
and then keep editing whatever code is already in your editor.

I do Ruby on Rails under the equivalent of 'autotest', so frequent test runs
make fault navigation less important. Upgrading our editor is on our do-list.

Paul E. Black

I have invented a new concept of developer test assertions. This post is a
preview of its features, before I release it for Ruby. Porting it to other
languages is left as an exercise for the reader.

assert{ 2.0 }

I don't like the simple assertions - assert_equal, assert_match,
assert_not_nil, etc, in my developer tests. They only exist for
one reason - to print out their values when they fail. And then
they don't even reflect their variable names, either.

So I wrote an assertion to replace them. Put whatever you want
into it; it prints out your expression, and all its values.
Essentially like this:

x = 43
assert{ x == 42 } --> x == 42
x --> 43

deny{ x == 43 } --> x == 43 should not pass
x --> 43

Phlip,

Very nice! I've used C's macro pre-processor to do something like
that for some 20 years.

#ifdef RIGOROUS
#define ASSERT(ex) {if(!(ex))fprintf(stderr,"ex false in %s, line %d\n",__FILE__,__LINE__);}
#else
#define ASSERT(ex)
#endif

The default is NOT to check the assertion, since some take quite a bit
of time. Here are some examples:
ASSERT(-4712 <= year && year != 0)
ASSERT(!(year == 1582 && month == 10 && 4 < day && day < 15))
ASSERT(0 <= newStream->queueNextEmpty && newStream->queueNextEmpty < newStream->queueSize)
ASSERT(streamp->queue[at - size])
ASSERT(filename && *filename)
ASSERT(compare(e1, e2) == result);
ASSERT(0 <= linebufp-linebuf && linebufp-linebuf <= line_width)

Here's comes from the last one when the assertion fails

0 <= linebufp-linebuf && linebufp-linebuf <= line_width false in format.c, line 110

-paul-

Phlip

You mean like you can easily do in Common Lisp:

Already pointed out on another forum.
Ha, ha, only serious,

I'll stick with the language where every parenthesis pair is optional, thanks.

Dmitry A. Kazakov

I'll stick with the language where every parenthesis pair is optional, thanks.

I always wondered why dynamically typed languages do not make brackets
dynamic... To enjoy that at full one could invent assertions asserting that
the numbers of left and right brackets are same... Or what about asserting
statements:

if assert I said, "if"! then assert I really mean "then"! or else! ...

you get the idea... :)-))

Jerry Coffin

[email protected] says... said:
You mean like you can easily do in Common Lisp:

http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/practical-building-a-unit-test-framework.html

It's nice to see people making the effort to bring these primitive
languages into the brave new world of the late 1950s and early 1960s.
;-)

Your code depends heavily on macros, which didn't exist in Lisp until
1963. Even so, the early macro facilities were fairly ugly, and I'm
pretty sure would not have handled code even vaguely similar to yours.

The first macro facilities that resemble what you use were introduced in
the dialects of Lisp invented for the MIT Lisp Machine project in
roughly the mid-1970's.

That, however, was only when the language provided the facilities to
implement your code -- I don't know of anybody having written such a
thing until considerably later. Strangely, C had actually implemented a
relatively complete assert facility around the time it became possible
to do so in Lisp.

Jerry Coffin

[ ... ]
if assert I said, "if"! then assert I really mean "then"! or else! ...

Fortran did it first:

if if .eq. 1 then then = 2 else else = 3

is perfectly legitimate, since key words aren't reserved. Nicely enough,
there's no reason you can't embed a space character into a variable name
either, so something like:

do 10 i = 1.10

is perfectly legal too. Change it to:

do 10 i = 1,10

and it's a loop -- but with the decimal point instead of a comma, it's a
simple assignment of the value 1.10 to a variable (that didn't have to
be declared either) named 'do 10 i'!

Not to be outdone, the designers of PL/I decided that:

x = y = 0;

should be legitimate and allowable -- but after executing it, x
absolutely would NOT equal y!

Jerry Coffin

phlip2005 said:
Even the oldest C could do stringerization, with a trick:

#define assert(foo) if(!(foo)) fprintf(STDERR, "\
foo
\ failed");

I don't think the _very_ oldest C could handle this. If you ever feel
like looking, Dennis Ritchie has a museum on his web site that includes
some early C compilers. These include some versions so old some of the
_very_ basic parts of the language were still in flux (e.g. on that
doesn't support 'struct' at all). OTOH, but the mid-70's, things had
settled down quite a bit -- in particular, memory was no longer quite so
constrained, so he could implement a more complete language without
simply overflowing the memory available on the (only) Unix machine at
the time.
Someone check my syntax, but that would reflect 'whatever' if you failed
assert(whatever). However, this could not _reliably_ reflect argument
values. Even C++, with <iostream>, cannot reliably reflect both arguments
and values, for an assertion that's healthy to type.

True -- I didn't mean to imply that its original assert was identical or
equivalent to what you've written; quite the contrary, C (and C++) have
make any sort of reflection quite difficult at best. OTOH, what they
provided 30 years ago (or so) still seems to be better than what Ruby
does by default...
So C++ made up for this by letting me put a breakpoint into the
assertion, so it would break directly into the calling code. I could TDD
in the debugger quite effectively like that.

What my assertion gives for a Ruby project, without a debugger, is all
the "watch points" that a debugger would have provided:

assert_{ reflect_string(statement) == statement } --> false -
should pass
statement --> "lambda{|*a| p( a ) }"
reflect_string(statement) --> "lambda{|*a| p(a) }".

Yes, Lisp probably did, too, that before I was born!

Without knowing how old you are, that's harder to guess. Then again,
even if I did know your exact age, it could be hard to answer. Most
languages draw a clear line between the compiler/interpreter/whatever
and your code. Lisp doesn't; it allows you to play directly with the
implementation quite easily, and it's generally considered quite
reasonable for ordinary code to use things that would be completely
hidden and inaccessible in most other languages. As such, it's usually
difficult to say anything like "nobody did X before day Y", with respect
to Lisp.