Assign Javascript value to asp session variable

philin007

Hi ,

I have the following javascript codes:
<script language="JavaScript">
<!--
if (nextRow >5)
{
<%Session("txtTotal")=%> = nextRow;

for (var i=1; i<NewTotalRow; i++) {
<%

'session("txtBeginDT" & i) =
'session("txtEndDT" & i) = %>

// -->
</script>
Does any one know if we can assign a javascript value to a asp session
variable?
eg [<%Session("txtTotal")=%> = nextRow; ]
is this correct ?

regards
philin

Patrice

I assume this is a client side script. You won't have (at least directly)
access to session variables stored on the server when running client side
code.

A usual way to transmit client side computed values to the server is to
store them in hidden fields that will the be read server side on the next
submit (you need a server round trip whatever method you wan't to use)...

Anthony Jones

Hi ,

I have the following javascript codes:
<script language="JavaScript">
<!--
if (nextRow >5)
{
<%Session("txtTotal")=%> = nextRow;

for (var i=1; i<NewTotalRow; i++) {
<%

'session("txtBeginDT" & i) =
'session("txtEndDT" & i) = %>

// -->
</script>
Does any one know if we can assign a javascript value to a asp session
variable?
eg [<%Session("txtTotal")=%> = nextRow; ]
is this correct ?

No. Javascript in this case is running in the browser on the client. It
has no access to the session object which is on the server. Your need to
either include this value in a Form field that is submited to the server or
use another means to send the value from the client to the server. Perhaps
the best solution is to reconsider the design and remove this requirement
all together.

philin007

thanks guys..

i think i will have to use hidden fields..there are new methods like
ajax but not so familiar with it..Hidden fields the problem is the
value can be seen(right click view source) tats why I was thinkin of
using the session variable...looks like no other solution :)

Anthony said:
[...]

Being able to see internal values on the client is not a real problem.
There's nothing stopping the user debugging and single stepping your code.
So if you really do have something that a user must never be able to see, a
browser based solution is not for you.