Assigne command ouput to a variable

Dragoescu Daniel

Hello guys!

I am a newbie in ruby and i have a question. I run a system command and i
want that the ouput of that command to be assigne to a variable, something
like this:

var1 = system("du -s /mnt/hdd/ | cut -f1") puts var1 or

var1 = exec("du -s /mnt/hdd/ | cut -f1") puts var1

but system return 0 or 1 if command is failed or succesful, and exec don't
assigne the output to variable var1.

Can you help me? Thanks in advance.

Stefano Crocco

Alle mercoled=EC 7 novembre 2007, Dragoescu Daniel ha scritto:
Hello guys!

I am a newbie in ruby and i have a question. I run a system command and i
want that the ouput of that command to be assigne to a variable, something
like this:

var1 =3D system("du -s /mnt/hdd/ | cut -f1") puts var1 or

var1 =3D exec("du -s /mnt/hdd/ | cut -f1") puts var1

but system return 0 or 1 if command is failed or succesful, and exec don't
assigne the output to variable var1.

Can you help me? Thanks in advance.

You can use backticks instead of system:

Stefano Crocco

Alle mercoled=EC 7 novembre 2007, Stefano Crocco ha scritto:
Alle mercoled=EC 7 novembre 2007, Dragoescu Daniel ha scritto:

You can use backticks instead of system:

Sorry, I hit the send button by mistake.

You can use backticks instead of system:

var1 =3D `"du -s /mnt/hdd/ | cut -f1"`
puts var1

I hope this helps

Stefano

Dragoescu Daniel

Hello!

It seems to work with:
----
var1 =3D `du -s /mnt/hdd/ | cut -f1`
puts var1
----
Thank you for the answare!

elof

Hi

You can get both the output from the command and its return value:

var1 = `du -s /mnt/hdd/ | cut -f1`
puts $?.exitstatus
puts var1

Kristian

Hello!

It seems to work with:
----
var1 = `du -s /mnt/hdd/ | cut -f1`
puts var1
----
Thank you for the answare!

Alle mercoledì 7 novembre 2007, Stefano Crocco ha scritto:
Alle mercoledì 7 novembre 2007, Dragoescu Daniel ha scritto:

You can use backticks instead of system:

Sorry, I hit the send button by mistake.

You can use backticks instead of system:

var1 = `"du -s /mnt/hdd/ | cut -f1"`
puts var1

I hope this helps

Stefano