Assistance with CSS please

dorayme

Andy Mabbett said:

Surely.... I mean surely... ttfn would be more subtle? Everyone
strives to be more subtle? Surely? This business of using
capitals for abbreviations and acronyms and such enables you to
shout but hide behind an excuse. Like when you deliberately ram a
car that is coming the wrong way down a one way street... and
enjoy it.

Chris F.A. Johnson

Surely.... I mean surely... ttfn would be more subtle? Everyone
strives to be more subtle? Surely? This business of using
capitals for abbreviations and acronyms and such enables you to
shout but hide behind an excuse. Like when you deliberately ram a
car that is coming the wrong way down a one way street... and
enjoy it.

It's standard English usage to capitalize abbreviations.

Chris F.A. Johnson

As e.g. "E.G."?

As with most things in the English language, there are exceptions,
and in the case of abbreviations, lowercase is used for a _few_
well-known ones -- but not generally.

Steven Saunderson

As with most things in the English language, there are exceptions,
and in the case of abbreviations, lowercase is used for a _few_
well-known ones -- but not generally.

Aren't you confusing abbreviations with acronyms here ? I think
acronyms are uppercase but not abbreviations. Of course, I am probably
oversimplifying the issue and will now hide to avoid the flak.

Chris F.A. Johnson

Aren't you confusing abbreviations with acronyms here ? I think
acronyms are uppercase but not abbreviations. Of course, I am probably
oversimplifying the issue and will now hide to avoid the flak.

Acronyms sometimes become words in their own right, and may not be
capitalized. When the word they form is already in use, all
capitals may be used for disambiguation.

Abbreviations that are formed from the initials of words, but do
not form a pronuncible word (i.e., not acronyms) are usually all
upper case.

dorayme

As e.g. "E.G."?

As with most things in the English language, there are exceptions,
and in the case of abbreviations, lowercase is used for a _few_
well-known ones -- but not generally.[/QUOTE]

It is interesting the way this is going. I say stop shouting at
me, I am a sensitive creature visiting your planet. You say, it
is not up to you, you are not to blame, there is a standard to be
observed. I reply that one can make exceptions, it is part of the
standard. You repeat that this is true. But you do not apologise
for shouting or demand that the person who did should apologise.
Is no one ever on my side? Do I forever on Earth have to fight
alone? What about you Pugh? Oy Boji? Travis, never mind about
about Bush, how about voting for me?

Chris F.A. Johnson

As with most things in the English language, there are exceptions,
and in the case of abbreviations, lowercase is used for a _few_
well-known ones -- but not generally.

It is interesting the way this is going. I say stop shouting at
me, I am a sensitive creature visiting your planet.[/QUOTE]

Ah! That explains a lot! ;)
You say, it is not up to you, you are not to blame, there is a
standard to be observed. I reply that one can make exceptions, it is
part of the standard. You repeat that this is true.

Perhaps I was not explicit enough. I said that there *are*
execeptions; I did not say one can make exceptions.
But you do not apologise for shouting or demand that the person who
did should apologise. Is no one ever on my side?

I didn't see any shouting.
Do I forever on Earth have to fight alone? What about you Pugh? Oy
Boji? Travis, never mind about about Bush, how about voting for me?

Couldn't be worse than dubya.

Steve Pugh

dorayme said:
Is no one ever on my side? Do I forever on Earth have to fight
alone? What about you Pugh? Oy Boji? Travis, never mind about
about Bush, how about voting for me?

Hmm? What? Don't try to bring me into this. I have no idea what you're
banging on about, but if you think that it's likely to appeal to both
me and Travis you probably don't know either us well enough. ;-)

Steve

dorayme

Steve Pugh said:
Hmm? What? Don't try to bring me into this. I have no idea what you're
banging on about, but if you think that it's likely to appeal to both
me and Travis you probably don't know either us well enough. ;-)

I have forgotten myself... but I get the feeling you protest too
much, that you are heavily involved somehow...