Astonishing size increase in JRE..

Andrew Thompson

It seems that the windows JRE has grown
considerably in recent times.

Vis. the installer for 1.4.1_02..
j2re-1_4_1_02-windows-i586-i.exe is
---> 10,244,264 bytes.

I just downloaded the 1.4.2_03 installer*..
j2re-1_4_2_03-windows-i586-p.exe
---> 15,228,464 bytes!

Almost a 50% increase.

* I have no intention of installing it at
this moment, but downloading the
'manual install' was the only way I could
figure to get it's size, about which Sun has
become conspicuously quite.

Does anybody know why the size
grew so much during that period?

Chris Uppal

Andrew said:
It seems that the windows JRE has grown
considerably in recent times.

Vis. the installer for 1.4.1_02..
j2re-1_4_1_02-windows-i586-i.exe is
---> 10,244,264 bytes.

I just downloaded the 1.4.2_03 installer*..
j2re-1_4_2_03-windows-i586-p.exe
---> 15,228,464 bytes!

It may be mostly a difference in the installer technology, or perhaps something
has happened to impede the compression. Comparing the size on-disk of a 1.4.2
installation for Windows with a 1.4.1, the difference is 35.5 MBytes vs. 41.2
MB, which is a much smaller percentage difference.

Of the 6MB or so that 1.4.2 has added to 1.4.1, a fair amount seems to be in
charsets.jar and the fonts/ directory -- presumably better support for "other"
languages.

-- chris

Andrew Thompson

message | Andrew Thompson wrote:
| Of the 6MB or so that 1.4.2 has added to 1.4.1, a fair amount
seems to be in
| charsets.jar and the fonts/ directory -- presumably better
support for "other"
| languages.

Thanks Chris. Sounds logical enough.

Now I am going to have to update my