Astronomy Fits format and gif.save(path)

W. Watson

In what library would I find gif.save(path), where path is the name and path
of a file, and the method would produce a file in a gif format?

Is there a fits.save(path) somewhere? fits is commonly used in astronomical
work.

W. Watson

I'm pretty new to Python and libraries. I'm actually trying to modify some
code someone else wrote. There are two ways images are saved. One is for the
user to select a "Save as GIF" menu item, or save as tiff, or others. The
other way is that the user wants a collected image from a camera saved
every, say, 10 minutes. The "save" process is different for some reason.
Here are the two code segments involved:

A. Save every 10 minutes
t = time.localtime(now_time)
s = "a%4d%02d%02d_%02d%02d%02d.tif" % ( NOTE my comments below B.
t.tm_year, t.tm_mon, t.tm_mday,
t.tm_hour, t.tm_min, t.tm_sec )
s = os.path.join("Exposures",s) <========== auto-exposures
if not os.path.exists("Exposures"):
os.mkdir("Exposures")
self.current_image.save(s) <============ save image
if self.trigger_mode:
self.Trigger()
self.CheckEvent()

contrast this with where the user specifically wants the image he sees saved
as a gif:

B. From menu option

def SaveGIF(self):
if self.current_path:
default_path = splitext(basename(self.current_path))[0] + ".gif"
path = asksaveasfilename(defaultextension=".gif",
title="Save as GIF",
initialfile=default_path,
filetypes=GIF_FILE_TYPES)
else:
path = asksaveasfilename(defaultextension=".gif",
title="Save as GIF",
filetypes=GIF_FILE_TYPES)
if not path:
return
gif = self.current_image.convert("RGB")
gif.save(path) <===========Save as gif.

The programmer told me if I change the tif in A. to gif, jpg or whatever, it
would work. Instead I get a file the of zero length when I use jpg. Can
anyone explain why this wouldn't work? I see that current_image.convert is
involved in one place and current_image.save in the first. {I erroneously
thought gif.save was some PIL method.)

Hmmm, maybe I needed to use jpeg?

As for fits formats, I see PIL shows FITS for identify only. Not sure what
that means. Read but not write?