Asymptopia Crossword Builder (JavaScript web-application)

Charlie Cosse

Asymptopia Crossword Builder is a JavaScript application. A robust GUI
allows users to submit arbitrary length lists of key-hint pairs which
can be regenerated an unlimited number of times until the user wants
to accept the layout. The dhtml interface provides a configuration
panel, key- generating panel (i.e. answer sheet), puzzle-generating
panel (blank squares with numbers for accross/down), and an
across-down-hints panel which generates the text hints and numerical
location on the puzzle.

http://www.asymptopia.com

Janwillem Borleffs

Charlie Cosse said:
Asymptopia Crossword Builder is a JavaScript application. A robust GUI
allows users to submit arbitrary length lists of key-hint pairs which
can be regenerated an unlimited number of times until the user wants
to accept the layout. The dhtml interface provides a configuration
panel, key- generating panel (i.e. answer sheet), puzzle-generating
panel (blank squares with numbers for accross/down), and an
across-down-hints panel which generates the text hints and numerical
location on the puzzle.

http://www.asymptopia.com

It's obviously not cross-browser, because in IE 6 you will get an error on
the line

tabTable.width=window.document.width

in nav_buttons.js

which could be changed to

tabTable.width = window.document.width || window.document.body.clientWidth;

to support IE. I don't know if there are more incompatibility issues because
I stopped debugging at this point.

JW

Charlie Cosse

Janwillem Borleffs said:
It's obviously not cross-browser, because in IE 6 you will get an error on
the line

tabTable.width=window.document.width

in nav_buttons.js

which could be changed to

tabTable.width = window.document.width || window.document.body.clientWidth;

to support IE. I don't know if there are more incompatibility issues because
I stopped debugging at this point.

JW

Yes, unfortunatly I don't have a windows box to address all the non-standards-
compliant issues that IE has. Try any standards-compliant browser and it works.
CC

Richard Cornford

window.document.body.clientWidth;
Yes, unfortunatly I don't have a windows box to address all the non-
standards-compliant issues that IE has. Try any standards-compliant
browser and it works. CC

The 'width' property of the document object is not specified an any
standard so IE's support for it (or lack thereof) is not a
"non-standards-compliant issue" and other browsers that fully implement
the HTML DOM Level 2 standard also do not have a 'width' property on
their document element.

Richard.

Charlie Cosse

Richard Cornford said:
window.document.body.clientWidth;

The 'width' property of the document object is not specified an any
standard so IE's support for it (or lack thereof) is not a
"non-standards-compliant issue" and other browsers that fully implement
the HTML DOM Level 2 standard also do not have a 'width' property on
their document element.

Richard.

Richard,
thanks for pointing this out; as I still don't have a windows box, would
anyone be interested in making the necessary modification to make it
work for IE? The code is compact and well organized (if I do say so),
and follows the DOM closely. The change above did not remedy everything,
BTW. So, any takers? Thanks,
Charlie